Motueka to Kaiteriteri - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 8 - CycleBlaze

February 28, 2024

Motueka to Kaiteriteri

Golden day to the golden sands.

It’s an earlyish rise at the Garden Motel where yesterday’s workout doesn’t seem to have left any serious aches, although I think hear the words ‘butt butter’. Maybe it’s something to do with breakfast.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

First stop in Motueka is the German bakery where we stock up for the day and try the coffee. Alles gut, though there’s a certain lightness lacking in my pain au raisin.

Heart 1 Comment 0

The route to Kaiteriteri (many waters) is easy enough. There’s really a choice between rough trail to the side of the road, and the road itself, which isn’t too bad except there are a good number of those double cab utes with the exhaust poking out above cab level. Could be rivers to ford.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the foreshore.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

      

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We come across a monument to Captain Arthur Wakefield, one of the early English founders of European settlement. There’s a description of a fine regatta put on by local Maori at the time, 1840s . Later  interactions, once land was beginning to be confiscated, were not so amicable.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The final section of around three kilometres offers a mountain bike trail or the road. Gerard and Adele decide that hardcore is the way to go. We take the road and share. It’s a bit of a climb but nothing exceptional and the traffic behaves. So, before long, the golden sands and glistening green sea  of Kaiteriteri Beach.

We are impressed with the speedy and friendly reception  and then delighted with our little cabin with bunks. Ann generously volunteers to take the top. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

A swim in the deep green of the bay follows. The water is a degree or two lower than Auckland temperatures but there’s really little difference. Besides it’s refreshing. The sand is fine and golden (quartz and mica particles)

Swimming out in the deep blue / green is liberating after the heat of the road. And there’s no doubt it’s a beautiful spot.

Over at the neighbouring cafe, we plot tomorrow’s route south. The trail will take us inland among the apple orchards and hop vines to a small place called Ngatimoti. It’s another shortish day, but appreciating great tastes takes time and shouldn’t be rushed.

Before returning to our cabins, we climb up to a lookout point above the beach and watch as the tide creeps in under full moon.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 21 km (13 miles)
Total: 455 km (283 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0