Kaiteriteri to Ngatimoti - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 8 - CycleBlaze

February 29, 2024

Kaiteriteri to Ngatimoti

Sea swim in morning river in afternoon.

We start the day with a 7:30am dip in the briny before a warm up climb over the hill from Kaiteriteri and onto Riwaka, a town we like so much that we visit it twice. We are looking for a Four Square store that apparently doesn’t exist, though one of our team believes it does. Despite asking a local for directions, there is no mention that there is no shop! We arranged goodies with help from local cafe owner. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving camp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farewell to the golden sands.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

She arranges a pouch of seafood chowder, some ciabatta buns, and a cauliflower/ chick pea salad and a bag of Agria  potatoes.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riwaka croquet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It’s hot and the valley is dozing in the heat. We cycle on towards our cottage at Cherry Farm. The trail is easy and follows the Motueka River, which is deep and sparkles in the places it runs over rocks.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reminder of days of tobacco growing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


With a couple of climbs we’re at the Cherry Farm gate. Johannes greets us and shows us the two cottages which are  simply but stylishly  appointed.  Something to do with the owner’s Swedish heritage perhaps.

He generously invites us to help ourselves to the organic garden: Sweetcorn, courgettes, peaches and plums. 


Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

In late afternoon we head for the nearby cafe ( owned by ex UK media personality Noel Edmonds). Firstly stopping  at a swimming hole on the river. It’s such a beautiful afternoon and the water is cool, clear and deep. Consequently we ditch the cafe visit. Swimming in the river with a few of the local kids, reminds us of picnics and swimming at rivers in the past. It’s a magic experience.

Heading for the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Later Gerard chips up the potatoes, the chowder is shared, and the salad supplemented with what we’ve carried. Gerard of course, found a bottle of wine en route. 

It’s been a gorgeous day- we swam at Kaitiere at 7.30, and in the river this afternoon. Good cycling - mostly on road. Traffic not too bad. And brilliant weather.

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 496 km (308 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0