Day 26: Glenlyon to Daylesford - A late Autumn/Early winter trip to Victoria by two old people - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2023

Day 26: Glenlyon to Daylesford

Heart 0 Comment 0

A very short hilly ride for the day. With plenty of time on our hands, we decided to make do with the short trip into Daylesford. It was one of those tourist towns that I'd actually heard of even though I didn't know why. We had no idea why Daylesford was well known. The morning rituals were the same as just about every other morning had been for the past month, dry the tent and air the sleeping bags whilst having breakfast and then pack up the bikes. It has taken a while but we are now quite good at it. Got chatting to a few people whilst all this was going on, local dog walkers and people from the caravans. I think the grey nomads are a little surprised to see that the hippies arriving on bicycles turn out to be as old as them.

It was a smooth and uneventful ride to Daylesford but with rain threatening the whole way. We wandered down the main street and called into a cafe for a cuppa, to get out of the cold as much as anything. An interesting thing in the cafe was a notice at each table telling you how long you got to drink your coffee with extra time to eat a meal. I wonder what brought that about, clearly this town gets very busy at weekends and holidays as it's not far from Melbourne. The sign into town told me what it is known for.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Obviously, with just a 10km ride we arrived in Daylesford quite early, well before lunch. There were two caravan parks just to the south of the town centre that didn't look far away. They weren't far as the crow flies but down and then up an enormous hill. We chose the one on top of the hill and got a cabin for the night, it was now raining and getting worse. Being early this seemed like a full rest day. After getting cleaned up and organised we walked back into town to look around. A tough walk for me with a dodgy knee, the hill was very steep. The town was like almost any tourist town, lots of little boutique shops I'm not in the least bit interested in. Annette went to an Op Shop to buy a jacket or something, I sat around in the cold. I don't find these places interesting, it reminded me of Handorf in the Adelaide Hills. Loads of people go and just browse around shops. We bought some groceries and made the trek back. The rest of the day was hanging out in the cabin listening to the rain.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Planning tomorrow's route.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 14 km (9 miles)
Total: 1,385 km (860 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0