Day 25: Mia Mia to Glenlyon - A late Autumn/Early winter trip to Victoria by two old people - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2023

Day 25: Mia Mia to Glenlyon

Heart 0 Comment 0
Almost ready to go.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The weather had cleared up nicely to set off and what a start. It's just as well we didn't try to continue on to Reesdale when we were tired, I don't think we wold have made it, only about 5km but two brutal hills. Reesdale would have been a good spot to camp but so was Mia Mia. We decided to go to Kyneton to have a look, the route kept changing, the original plan was to go to Castlemaine. We had more or less decided to head for Ballarat, the weather forecast was not looking good over the next few days so we chose towns closer that looked like they'd be good to visit. From Kyneton we were going to head towards Daylesford. It was a slightly tricky ride to Kyneton, a few hills and intermittent shoulders. we arrived in time for lunch. Given that it was a Sunday, the place was very busy. It seemed a very nice, larger country town and we made lunch outside the library in the main street.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch in Kyneton.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Things were looking good, weather fine and the ride to Kyneton wasn't too difficult. We took a small road to link onto the main road between Bendigo and Daylesford. The hills just got tougher and tougher as we got more tired. I was watching the navigation tracker and knew how close we were to the main road but one last hill was too much for both of us. Usually, when approaching a hill it looks less steep the closer you get, not this one. We didn't even attempt it, we just lost heart. Even pushing it was difficult. We stopped for a break close to the intersection with the main road opposite the Drummond Primary School. A van pulled and two people came to talk to us just for a chat. They were cyclists and just wanted to talk to us. I told him where we were heading and he pointed somewhere on a map which didn't look right so he got his tablet with a mapping app. Thankfully it was him who was lost and not me.

Looking back at the hill that beat both of us.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We decided to try and make it to a small town called Glenlyon, there was a free camp there that looked good. It was still a long way to go but with less brutal hills. We got overtaken along the way by a couple a guys on time trial bikes. Oh to be able to go that fast. Every hill felt like a mountain but finally we came to a massive descent into Glenlyon. The camp ground was in a massive natural amphitheatre. There was an old racetrack and various buildings. It seems the place was quite well used, mostly by dogwalkers. There were two caravans in the caravan area but we continued on to the buildings and found a verandah and electric BBQ. Annette finally found an electric outlet. There was an Italian/Morrocan camping in his car nearby, we got chatting, he was working in Mildura but going back to Italy for a holiday to see his family.

This is getting to be a habit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 1,371 km (851 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0