Day 17: Mulwala to Rutherglen - A late Autumn/Early winter trip to Victoria by two old people - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2023

Day 17: Mulwala to Rutherglen

Heart 0 Comment 0

The road across to Corowa was much less busy on Saturday morning and quite an easy ride. However, after a few kilometres I noticed what looked like a bike path next to the river, we hadn't seen this signposted but found out it started right from our campsite. We decided to move across to the path even though the surface wasn't as good as the road. The scenery was much better so close to the river. We got talking to a cyclist taking a break on a boardwalk, he told us the story of the bike path, it was quite new and not many signs had gone up. He was about to go on a cycle tour of Albania. Despite the debris from a recent storm scattered about the track, it was a very good ride into Corowa. Corowa is a reasonably large town right on the river/border. We found a supermarket and wandered around the town for a while before heading down to a park for lunch. It was bitterly cold.

Packing up camp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Snack on the bike trail to Corowa. Note the debris, it must have been some storm.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride across the bridge brought us back into Victoria and we followed a rail trail all the way to Rutherglen. There were a couple of reasons for heading to Rutherglen, neither of which actually worked out. Our daughter's husband's family live there and we'd only met them briefly at the wedding. This seemed like a good time to catch up. Unfortunately, they were away on this particular weekend. We knew in advance when they were going to be away but timing things on a bike trip is not easy. Every day as we got closer to Rutherglen it was looking more and more like we'd hit this weekend. We considered hanging around or heading up to Beechworth and coming back but the weather was just too cold with impending rain to do that. The other reason for heading to Rutherglen was to head up into the highlands via Wodonga or at least cycle up to Beechworth. Again, the weather made this totally impractible. Never mind, it's all about the journey and Rutherglen was a nice place to visit anyway.

The trail from Corowa to Rutherglen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Murray to Mountains was to be a highlight of the trip. It can wait until next time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Parker pies, apparently a well know place in Rutherglen.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Rutherglen was extremely cold and threatening rain. We camped at the local caravan park for the night, a pleasant place next to a lake with a reasonable camp kitchen. If the weather had been better it would have been good to stay a few days.

Rutherglen Pond.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 984 km (611 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0