Day 16: Finley to Mulwala - A late Autumn/Early winter trip to Victoria by two old people - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2023

Day 16: Finley to Mulwala

Heart 0 Comment 0

The day started out with a nice easy ride to the town of Berrigan. We stopped here for a rest and a look around, a very nice little country town. Before very long we turned south down a much quieter road and straight into a freezing headwind. I had my phone on the handlebars for this section to follow the navigation, not sure if this was a good thing nor not. I could see turns in the road coming up that may give us some relief from the wind, temporary though they were, they were still welcome. I communicated with Annette as much as possible, she feels the cold much worse than me, " there's a slight turn over this next hill that will put us slightly out of the wind." I've learnt not to exaggerate the positives, I just get blamed for the fact that there is a hill or wind or bad patch of road. This was the toughest day so far. We headed off up a dirt track and over a hill for lunch just so we could get out of the wind.

Reminders of home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Escaping the wind. The advantage of not having a chair is more protection from the wind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch every day for a month.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cracked 1000km today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We finally hit the Mulwala Barooga Road heading in a more Easterly direction and got some relief from the wind. The plan was to go into Mulwala but, as we didn't really need anything in a town, We continued on towards Corowa for a little way until coming to a camp site. There was an option of camping down by the river but it had been a tough day and decided to go the caravan park option. We are getting old.The park was mostly cabins on Lake Mulwala, probably very busy in the season but quiet when we were there. The owners were friendly and gave us a hot drink when we arrived, they let us camp next to a cabin with easy access to the amenities. Unfortunately, what they called a camp kitchen was an open area without a roof. Gladly, it didn't rain but it was cold. I started the day with a very difficult decision to make. I bought a six pack of beer when we arrived in Finley but only drank three of, to carry them with me or leave them behind. I was reaping the benefits of that decision now.

The lake was very Australian/River Murray like. Quite a beautiful place in its own way with dead trees and water birds. There was an over friendly Black Swan that came to meet us. It was a little too cold to enjoy the lake to its fullest but still a nice way to end a tough day. A good sign was that we are clearly recovering better from hard days now.

Lake Mulwala.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Serenity.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Open air camp kitchen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I can't remember what dinner was but I'm sure it would have been delicious.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 939 km (583 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0