Zeka Creek to Wangaratta - High Country Victoria - CycleBlaze

Zeka Creek to Wangaratta

18 February - 3 March 2023

Lots of camping spots down in the Wonnangatta Valley, but this gets packed out with the 4WD crowd on weekends - don’t let anyone tell you this area is ‘remote’! 

Some informal campsites here and there along Riley Creek. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Hut and small camping area at Riley Hut.  Riley Creek is likely permanently flowing.

Open grassy area on Buffalo River East Branch before you leave the state forest, about 5 or so kays upstream from junction with Schultz Track

Several official camping areas along Upper Buffalo River, not all with toilets, but most with picnic tables. Blades Campground has no shade or toilets. Definitely treat this water. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Buffalo River Rd - there is a pay camping area at Nug Nug - I've never used this area.

Myrtleford - all services. Coles and Foodworks. Quite a few cafes, two bakeries. The Vietnamese place is good. Couple thrift stores. Two caravan parks. The big caravan park by the pool is used to cyclists and will try to give you a spot with shade. They have a bike maintenance stand. Check out the Mosaic Trail around town and along the bike path by the river.  There are plenty of wild camping opportunities in state forest off of rail trail 7-10 kays west of town. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Everton - small caravan park, pub, takeaway shop that is not friendly to cyclists. Nowhere to refill water here (public toilets do not have potable water).

Milawa - takeaway shop does great burgers and good food - also has general store stuff. Bakery, small motel, chemist, pub with no accommodation, smokehouse restaurant and Brown Bros Winery south of town. Very small caravan park. There is free camping with no toilets along Ovens River on road to Tarrawingee. 

Oxley - roadhouse does some takeaway meals; fancy restaurant; park has shelter, bbqs, public toilets, potable water; winery just to west of town;  can camp for a fee (honour box) at rec reserve which has lots of horse people around.  Fill up water in town before heading out as there is no potable water at rec reserve. Plenty of shelter at rec reserve - only had one toilet with shower open when I was there, so that could be an issue if it is busy. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Wangaratta - all services, plenty of everything. ALDI, Coles and Woolworths. Painters Island Caravan Park is closest to town, has good camp kitchen and always clean, large amenities block. Showers available at a cyclist hub just to south of downtown shopping area on main road. 2 bike shops - both do good repair work.

Heart 0 Comment 0

After this section of the trip, I grabbed a car ride back to Albury to do some bike repair and rest for a bit, as I was a bit fatigued after two weeks with lots of big climbing days and few rest days.  But you could use the rail trail to go all the way up the Ovens Valley to Bright, Harrietville and back into the mountains via various roads and tracks.

 

Today's ride: 195 km (121 miles)
Total: 1,848 km (1,148 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0