Dargo to Wellington River to Zeka Creek - High Country Victoria - CycleBlaze

Dargo to Wellington River to Zeka Creek

11-17 February 2023

** Please note that there was a large bushfire that burned through the state forest along the Freestone Creek Road in Sept/Oct 2023, so it will be looking pretty crispy through there for awhile and there may be infrastructure damage in the camping areas.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Briagalong - small pub, art gallery, general store, public toilets where you can refill water and an awesome little cafe (One World Cafe) that is only open on weekends. Lots of camping areas along Freestone Creek Road and a camping area not far out of town at the old quarry. 

Boise - just a few buildings here and no services currently

Maffra - all services. IGA and Woolworths, chemist, post office, laundromat, couple pubs and a few cafes, backpacker hostel which is usually booked out with fruit pickers, small motel with a bike storage room. Interesting auto museum with changing exhibits. Camping area on main road with poor amenities block - meant to only be for self-contained vehicles but I suspect no one would bother you if you set up late and leave early since there are toilets on site. This used to be a more full service sort of little council caravan park, but reduced services now.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Heyfield - small IGA supermarket, a few takeaway shops, fixed up playground and park area along rail trail done up with state gov money. Can camp for 48 hours out at the showground. There is a town pool. Pretty dead town and likely to become moreso with the end of native timber harvesting. 

Cheynes Bridge Camping Area - Large open grassy area with heaps of places to camp. On river. Couple drop toilets, one picnic table. A few sites with shade if you get there early. Definitely treat water here - lots of rubbish and TP near the river was unsightly.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Licola - Caravan park and small takeaway/shop with limited hours. Picnic area with shelter and BBQs but nowhere to dispose of rubbish. Only town in VIC not on mains power. Only town in VIC that is totally privately owned. 

Wellington River Campsites - 15 camping areas along the river over about 12 kms. Some looked nicer than others. Not all have drop toilets or picnic tables. River permanently flows. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Howitt High Plains - Several informal camping areas along this road - several creeks running when I rode through. There is a more formal camping area with horseyards at The Gorge.  Permanently flowing water at The Gorge. 

Official camping area at Bryces Gorge  - well-protected set amongst snow gums. At the start of several bushwalks. Drop toilet. No water at site. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Official camping area at Howitt Hut - VERY popular with horse campers. Drop toilet. No water - there is a tank to collect rainwater from roof of toilets, but this has been vandalised and no tap or pipe connected to gutter.  Lots of places you can wander off into the bush to camp up here though. 

Three crossings of the headwaters of Zeka Creek on Zeka Spur Track, but these are not permanently flowing. Limited options for whacking up a tent along the upper parts of Zeka Spur Track but it is possible.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 334 km (207 miles)
Total: 1,653 km (1,027 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0