San Quirico to Radicofani via Pienza - Via Francigena - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2023

San Quirico to Radicofani via Pienza

HThis pst is a date late because we did not have wifi in Radicofani.

The ride from San Quirico to Radicofani was unique in many ways.  It was only 48km/30mi but there was 3300ft of climbing plus we had very strong head/cross winds for the last 25km. The winds were steady at 36kph and gusted to 50kph.   At the top of one of the hills I was blown across the centre line but there was no traffic.  This is me on a heavy e-bike so the winds had an effect.  Our bikes are e-bikes of the hard tail style with large knobby tires which are perfect for the gravel sections but they offer a lot of resistance on pavement.  All of this is to say that with all of these conditions we all, me included, used our entire battery over todays ride.

The day started with a km 15% climb on gravel followed by an even longer 15% descent on gravel. By the time I got to the bottom my thumbs were sore from squeezing the brakes. We stopped after 3km to take in the view from Alto Vignoni. After this stopped in a thermal spa village followed by lunch in Pienza at the 16km mark. Pienza is not on the via Francigena route but close to it so made a slight deviation to see this amazing medieval village.  After lunch is when we battled the conditions of hills and wind plus a few small rain showers for good measure.  We are staying a lovely B&B in the village of Radicofani where we also had a truly amazing meal at a family run restaurant.  Sadly tomorrow the weather looks foul so wet weather gear will be required.

The route and profile for today, again the white bars are gravel or as our guides call them dirty roads.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This tower is in Vignoni Alto overlooking Val d’Orcia which is a valley of land were battles were fought over the centuries firstly by armies of Siena against Florence but even in WWII. In medieval times this tower had significance as an observation post over the valley. You can see several others in the area as well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking across Val d’Orcia
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thermal baths in a spa town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A waterfall of thermal water into a pool below where bathers still go today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some of the beautiful pottery in Tuscany
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsYou just wanted an excuse to work in the maple leaf motif, didn't you? :)

Seriously that is lovely work.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Riding up to Pienza
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view
Heart 1 Comment 0
More spectacular pottery
Heart 1 Comment 0
The church in the town square. Pope Pio II came from this town and it was his doing that created this beautiful medieval town. Other than modernization it remains as it was in the 1500s.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Pope’s crest on the church
Heart 1 Comment 0
The town hall opposite to the church
Heart 1 Comment 0
This area is home to pecorino cheese made from sheep milk.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The entire valley was once covered with magnificent oak trees but they were all cut down over the years for farming or railroad ties. This once has been preserved as a national monument, it is 400 years old.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our B&B for the night where Tim and I had our own space.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I just had to buy this T shirt of a cycling chingaile (wild boar) since it is such a part of the local cuisine.
Heart 2 Comment 0
My dinner last night of pici pasta and meat sauce, ground pork I think since pork was the main meat on the menu.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 138 km (86 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0