Lochearn railway path - and a repeat ride - From the low country to the highlands and beyond - CycleBlaze

August 29, 2018

Lochearn railway path - and a repeat ride

Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park

This morning we backtrack past Comrie Croft, driving west to Strathyre to ride a section of the Loch Earn railway path, a trail still under construction as we'll discover. We're steadily climbing and, by the time we park the van in Strathyre, we know we are in the Western Highlands. 

The mid-morning ride from Strathyre begins with a steep climb up to reach the old railway path, then a more gentle rise to Glen Bogle. Here we meet a chain-link fence, suggesting a continuation of the trail in the future. Our downward return, though boggy, is a quick affair. 

Done and dusted
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once again we're on the A85,  driving east past Comrie Croft. But wait, let's call in and do that ride one more time. Oh, and it's lunchtime.

We do as we did yesterday and go our separate ways after riding to the top. It's comforting to see I'm a little faster this time round on the downhill segments. It really helps to know the trail. Again, this is a great confidence-booster. Comrie Croft is officially our favourite ride so far.

Heart 0 Comment 0

From here, we cut across over to the coast, staying the night at Arbroath. In hindsight, this seems a strange choice as we will be returning to the Highlands tomorrow. But it must have made sense at the time. All I ask of Arbroath tomorrow morning is a decent cup of coffee . . .

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 255 km (158 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0