Deeside Trail - From the low country to the highlands and beyond - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2018

Deeside Trail

Cairngorms

Last night's stay in Arbroath was a chance to experience some sea air . . . and it's not actually too far out of our way, given that we're heading north-west to  the Cairngorms this morning.

Fernlea, our accommodation, is interesting, in the complete sense of that word. It takes us a while to establish that, yes, this is where we're supposed to be; we're then greeted by the manager who points out our self-contained apartment at the front.

Heart 0 Comment 0

There's a ton of room for us and our bikes, not to mention the all-important washing machine. Oh, and a separate dining room. We dine like gentry.

And it's a good opportunity to catch up with vegetables again
Heart 0 Comment 0

This morning, though, we do a fruitless lap of the town in search of coffee before driving to the Cairngorms. This is deeply disappointing.

Today's ride follows another old railway line, this one with royal connections. The Aboyne to Ballater leg is the final section of the Deeside Trail that starts on the coast at Aberdeen.

In the heyday of rail travel, the Aberdeen - Balleter branch line was regularly travelled by the royal family en route to Balmoral Castle.  Ballater station was fitted out with Queen Victoria's private Royal Waiting Room, which more recently has been a popular tourist destination.

We park the van in Aboyne  and enjoy a flattish, easy ride to Ballater 17km away. It's still a popular destination, despite a fire that destroyed the Old Royal Station in 2015. The rebuilt station includes a replica of Her Majesty's waiting room and we commoners can only stare in wonder at such sumptuousness.

Now THIS is fine dining . . .
Heart 0 Comment 0

Luckily there's a visitor centre and café for non-Royals so we can have a spot of afternoon tea before tackling the return leg. 

Back at the van, we plot a route on mainly B roads to tonight's destination, the middle of nowhere, somewhere north-west of Aberdeen. We're staying the night with friends. He's a larger than life character, a Kiwi living in Scotland with his Scottish partner. It's a great evening.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 291 km (181 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0