In Louth: a loop through the Lincolnshire Wolds - Three Seasons Around France: Summer - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2022

In Louth: a loop through the Lincolnshire Wolds

Spending a second night in Louth was a last minute decision, as was the second night in Boston.  I thought of this again today with gratitude that we thought to cancel our two night stay in Lincoln to free up these days.  Both towns have been excellent stays for us - just the right size and character to hold our interest and offers a decent meal selection, calm and not touristy, and both small enough that we can quickly get out of town on the bikes.  I don’t doubt that if we’d gone to Lincoln we’d have been happy with that too and not known the difference, because that just seems to be the way we are; but these last few days have felt perfect.  The layover day in Boston gave us that wonderful walk out to the mouth of the river, and today we experienced what was probably our favorite day of cycling so far here in England. 

Everything about our loop through the Lincolnshire Wolds was good.  On quiet, well surfaced paved roads nearly the entire way, pleasant weather, manageable slopes, inspiring views.  Ideal.

For dinner we went out for a Thai meal at a small diner with an authentic feel, sitting at a window table overlooking the church.  Walking around town afterwards we passed two other attractive restaurants we could have chosen instead and it occurred to me that really we could have been happy staying a third night here.  With another day we could take a loop over toward the coast.

Not a mile from the hotel yet and we’re already in the country, climbing up into the Wolds on a nearly empty road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Nearing the summit of the first climb the outstanding natural beauty comes through.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the Lincolnshire Wolds.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lean twos.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In the Lincolnshire Wolds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A traditional scene in Donington on Main. This is a little unusual here. We’re seeing fewer thatched roofs now. Red brick seems to be the building material of choice.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Waiting for the bus.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An interesting but unnamed estate in Hainton. I stopped here for a look and didn’t notice that I was supposed to turn left at this intersection. I was half a mile down the wrong road before realizing it so I called Rachael to let her know I was taking a shortcut in the loop and would intersect with her a few miles ahead. A lucky situation, but I think I’ll start building more shortcut opportunities into our rides to give me a chance to catch up.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A public footpath, always a nice find when you’re in need of a natural break. Most come with more privacy than this one, but then there’s no one else around anyway.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Almost a plaid look. Lincolnshire tweed.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looks like a classic English countryside scene, doesn’t it? Note the cluster of sheep on the left.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In the Lincolnshire Wolds.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The final drop. Looks like they must get some wind here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Well shut my mouth! Ain’t that Louth, yonder south?
Heart 1 Comment 0

A note on the music for today’s video: I was surprised to learn that George Shearing was British, born in Battersea.  He began his music career playing in a pub in Lambeth Park: Masons Arms.

Video sound track: Bernie’s Tune, by George Shearing

In the corner market square, with our hotel opposite. There was a street market on when we arrived yesterday.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Louth.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Louth.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Old Market, built in 1866.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Saint James church, the landmark structure in town. We saw this from a few miles out biking in.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A tipsy toad.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Doubled up in Louth.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonLooks like a candidate for Rich's challenge!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The clock tower from the Old Market, through our bedroom window. The clock face is illuminated at night and shines in on Rachael’s side of the bed. And the tower chimes out the hour, round the clock.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 43 Miles, 2,200’; for the tour: 782 miles, 29,900’

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 781 miles (1,257 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonForsooth, I thought Louth
Would rhyme with tooth
Or loathe or sloth or even bath,
But south
Would never have come out of my mouth!

Thanks for the tip on how to pronounce it, British place names are so unpredictable.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonI thought so myself until I was corrected and told it was uncouth. It took me days to reprogram myself.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago