Day 033 - Gettysburg, PA to Hagerstown, MD - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2023

Day 033 - Gettysburg, PA to Hagerstown, MD

Heart 1 Comment 0

It was a good ride today, tough, but good.  I started out by riding around Gettysburg.  In our two days of auto touring, we didn't go by the Gettysburg Railroad Station, so of course I had to pedal by.  Can't miss a station that I know about!  

I also rode out to the battlefield again for a short distance.  It's hard to fathom the carnage that took place during the three days of the battle.  I was moved by viewing the battlefield and monuments, but I did not like all the tourist traps and commercialism of the town itself.  It's almost as if Gettysburg won a horrible lottery because the battle occurred near the town. 

Just a few miles from Gettysburg I began seeing the mountains that I would be climbing today.  Although not nearly as majestic as the Rockies, I still enjoyed looking at them, even though my legs were having other, not so nice thoughts, about them.

Mountains ahead.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A picturesque Pennsylvanian farm.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Gettysburg National Golf Club.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Besides numerous small hills, my Garmin showed that there were 4 longer climbs.  Three of them were about a half mile in length and averaged 4%, and the 4th was 3.85 miles and averaged 6%.  To date, that is the longest, steepest climb I have ever done.  Much of this climb registered 6-7%, with a few stretches registering 8-9% and one stretch registered 11%.  I made it without having to walk, but I did have to stop twice to give my legs a break.  I'm glad the road had a nice wide shoulder, because on the steeper parts, I did wobble quite a bit. (Although very comfortable, I'm finding that it's hard to keep a LWB recumbent tracking a straight line while going up a steep hill)

I gave my legs a well-deserved rest in this truck lot. After a little research, I found out that the quarry in the background produces roofing granules.
Heart 0 Comment 0

My second stop was in the town of Blue Ridge Summit.  I was really surprised to find a railroad crossing at the top of the climb.  (I guess it runs along the ridge instead of crossing it.)  Right next to the convenience store was Mainline Hobby Supply, a model railroad store, so I had to check it out.  It is the largest model-railroad-only hobby store that I have seen.

Everything imaginable for the model railroad hobbyist.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Curt & Helene ReedRight up your alley Kerry. That will be your next hobby when you cannot ride
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
There were walls of tiny pieces-parts.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bonnie & Brian, the owners of Mainline Hobby Supply.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Coming down the mountain, near Hagerstown, I came across this orchard that was growing apples trees on trellisses.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I'm looking forward to the next few days, as I'll be on the C&O Canal Trail and the GAP (Great Allegheny Passage).  No more steep climbs for a while!

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 1,533 miles (2,467 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0