Day 005 - Jesup to Statesboro - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

April 20, 2023

Day 005 - Jesup to Statesboro

Heart 0 Comment 0

Two days ago I was disappointed at not seeing a train at the Folkston Funnel.  Today I was disappointed at seeing a train in Jesup.  Just a couple of miles into today's ride, I came upon a barricade in the road. Just behind the barricade were railroad tracks.  Beyond the tracks, the road continued on.   As there were some freight cars on the track, I thought this was just a siding.  I left my bike on the road and walked up to the tracks to make sure that the ditches on either side were dry and I could get across. I then went back and got the bike.  I was struggling to get the bike up the embankment and across the tracks (you can't just sling a LWB recumbent up on your shoulder) when I looked up and saw a train coming.  Luckily, it was moving slowly, and I had time to clear the track and continue on.  However, I must admit that when I first saw the train, I momentarily had an "Ah shit" moment :-)

The road continues in the background
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerYou are crazy….and funny
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
I had just got my front wheel over the first track when I saw this. A curve in the tracks and the cars on the siding had hidden the train from view.
Heart 2 Comment 4
Curt & Helene ReedGlad you crossed the tracks safely just on time
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Curt & Helene ReedHe made me a little anxious when he told me that story!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith A. SpanglerOh shit moment….crazy
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The highlight of the ride today was our visit to the Woodpecker Trail Olive Farm.  The first thing we learned on our visit had nothing to do olives but with the farm's name. 

Unbeknownst to us, we have been riding the Woodpecker Trail since leaving home.  Before the advent of numbered routes, The Woodpecker Route was created in 1922 (making it older than the famed Route 66) to take travelers from Greenville, SC to Lake City, FL.  In the 1950's, the Woodpecker Route was revived as the Woodpecker Trail.  It is comprised of the present day SC121, GA121 and FL121 and now ends in St. Pete, FL.

In the 1950's, Woody Woodpecker was used in the logo for the Woodpecker Trail. Permission to use it was granted by Woody's creator, Walter Lantz.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Now about the farm.  Curtis and Tracy Poling began raising olive trees in 2014 on Tracy's family farm.  This land has been farmed by Tracy's famlly for five generations reaching back to 1855.

Ownership history of the farm.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Curtis and Tracy are now producing international award winning olive oil.  We got some education about EVOO.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We also got a tour of the olive tree groves and the rest of the farm.  Most of the 300 acre farm is now undeveloped or planted in pine trees.  I think Curtis said he has 30 acres in olive trees.

Looking down a row of olive trees.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The olives were just budding when we visited. If you look closely, you can see the flowers that will eventually bud into olives.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Curtis has great ideas for use of the land, including facilities for visitors.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Rose SamsonThat is a good idea to have facilities on your land Mr. Curtis. Travelers needs it!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rose SamsonThat is a good idea to have facilities on your land Mr. Curtis. Travelers needs it!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonIt would be a beautiful place for some very private cabins.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Back at the visitor center, we got to taste the oil.  It was similar to a wine tasting.  Curtis and Tracy told us all the flavors to try to recognize and evaluate.  Their oil was very aromatic and flavorful.

We learned that only blue or red glasses are used in olive tasting competitions. This is so the judges cannot see the color of the olive oil prior to assessing it for taste and aroma.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Rose SamsonVery SMART IDEA!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonIt was quite an extensive system for evaluating the olive oils. We onlt tasted theirs, though. He didn't have any others for comparison.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

I still had 40 miles to ride after our visit to the farm.  Only this little family made me reach for the camera.

Canada Geese and goslings in an industrial park just outside Statesboro.
Heart 0 Comment 4
Rose SamsonA cute idea, these Geese can protect the goslings from harm.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Curt & Helene ReedBecause they're from Canada? I know you have dozens of human cousins, but feathered ones??
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonGood parenting on display,
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 79 miles (127 km)
Total: 312 miles (502 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0