Day 127 - Derby to Westfield - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2022

Day 127 - Derby to Westfield

Heart 0 Comment 0

After two relaxing nights at their house, we started our ride with Jan and Dean today.  They are going to ride with us for six days, as far as Alliance, Ohio.  They are very easy-going and were happy to leave at our comfortable 10:00 AM.  Our route followed along the shore of Lake Erie most of the way.

Heart 0 Comment 0

There are many vineyards along the route and in places we could enjoy the fragrance of the ripe concord grapes.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
These guys were harvesting grapes today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Somewhere along US 5 - the happy homemaker?
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of Lake Erie near Dunkirk
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had lunch at Dimitri's in Dunkirk. It was very good Greek food - and some excellent smoked fish.  We all ate until we were too full.  Dean was trying to decide about the rice pudding for dessert and Kerry insisted that he order it.

Why Kerry was so determined to have Dean order dessert.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It rained for maybe a half hour before we got to the restaurant and there was some harder rain and even hail while we were eating, but by the time we enjoyed our long, leisurely meal, the sun was coming out.  

Kerry took us on a short detour through the community of Van Buren.

View of Lake Erie at Van Buren
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonNice view of Lake Erie. It is "calmly welcoming". I wander if snorkeling is allowed?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Van Buren had classic cottages and no "McMansions" to spoil it's cozy charm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There was a lovely community park
Heart 0 Comment 0

What Kerry didn't tell us was that the road back up to US 5 on his detour was unpaved.  After the rain, we had to dodge mud puddles.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow there are several wineries on our route.  Jan and I are happy that we both have designated drivers!

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 4,116 miles (6,624 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0