Day 1 - Crystal River to Leesburg - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

April 10, 2022

Day 1 - Crystal River to Leesburg

Heart 0 Comment 0

After seven years of long distance touring, you might think we would be more efficient in getting the house closed and hitting the waiting road.  If you thought that, you'd be wrong.   This morning, I thought there were only a few things left to do and we'd be ready to go.  It took longer than we expected and we didn't get going until after noon.  Even then, we have already thought of three things we're going to have to ask our amazing house minding friends to go do for us.   

Every year, we have Two Far jerseys made with our planned route pictured on the back.  This year's jerseys were delayed due to factory closures in China, but we really hoped they would arrive in time.  We got an email on April 8 that they would be delivered on April 11 - tomorrow, one day after we leave!  So, our AHMF's (for short) will collect the package and mail it  ahead for us.  Now we have to count on the speed and accuracy of the USPS  to get to the right place at the scheduled time.

But, all that aside, we are officially on the road for Two Far 2022.  Today's route was one we've done many times.  We rode 50 miles from our house to Leesburg.

We started on a multi-purpose trail that parallels the road from our neighborhood to the Withlacoochee State Trail ten miles away.  

The first ten miles are actually the hilliest stretch of road we'll have until we get to Delaware.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hills aren't big, but it isn't a flat ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Withlacoochee State Trail is the longest paved trail in Florida.  With a recently completed connector at the north end, it is now about 50 miles long.  It travels through several attractive small towns with lots of places to eat, drink and sleep.  We aren't just being local boosters when we say that it is one of the best rail-trails in the country.

Withlacoochee State Trail
Heart 3 Comment 0

Near the midpoint of the trail is the town of Inverness.  The town leaders have invested in making the town very bicycle welcoming.

This is a view of Lake Tsala Apopka from the trail at Inverness.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The around the trail head has been developed into a wonderful trail/park/lake area with excellent amenities.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just south of Inverness, we left the trail and rode Hwy 44 most of the rest of the way.  It's a four-lane divided highway with a good shoulder, but not much to see.

The road does cross the Withlacoochee River just past Inverness. This is a very quiet and peaceful place for kayaking (except when the occasional airboat passes).
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were pretty wildflowers blooming in the medians.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerA beautiful spring day north of you too; travel safe.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We made it to Leesburg around 5:30 and got some takeout salads from the restaurant next door.  It's going to be an early night!

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 49 miles (79 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Dave CardarellaYou were only 2 or 3 miles from our home. If we would have known, we would have met you and rode to Leesburg.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithDave, I'm sorry that we never thought of that. We would have enjoyed seeing you.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago