Day 9 - In Perry - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

April 17, 2021

Day 9 - In Perry

Let the healing begin

We stayed in Perry today to rest and let my wounds start to heal.  It was a rainy day, so it was a good day for staying put.  Kerry gave me good reason to remember what a great choice I made 47 years ago.  We (Kerry, mostly) cleaned up the bike and gear from riding in the rain yesterday and we got the laundry done.  I ate lots of calories because that promotes healing, right??

  We're planning to try to ride tomorrow, but we are prepared to wait another day if I need to.  

Thank you very much for all the well wishes.  Some of you we "know" from Cycle Blaze and some have been first time commenters.  I sincerely appreciate all your concern.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 14
Rose SamsonHI Jeanna and Kerry, I am sorry the dog bit Jeanna. The dog was not friendly at all, did not go back home when the owner called them. I am glad it was not serious enough to stop your bike trip. There are still good people on Earth! We need the rain in Crystal River.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithNo, the dog was definitely not friendly! But we met some kind and generous people who helped out when we needed it, so it was not all bad. Enjoy the rain - I know Crystal River really needs it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonOh, my gosh. I am so sorry. I can’t believe the two of you biked all the way to town afterwards! Congratulations on not crashing and making the situation even worse. I hope you heal quickly, but don’t push things. Did you get a report back on whether the dog has had his rabies shot?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Scott AndersonThe owners told Kerry that the dog had had it's shots. The deputies were going to verify that and the urgent care clinic sent a report to the county health department. We have numbers to call to follow up if they don't call us. Since this happened on a Saturday, we have to wait a couple of days to talk to the county animal control.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich McKayIt looks like we're at the tail end of this storm system this morning... hopefully you'll be able to hit the road again, and not have to clean the bike up at the end of the day!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Alain AbbateThat looks like a really nasty bite! So sorry you had to go through all of that hassle because of an irresponsible dog owner. Despite the visit from the law, I suspect the pack will still be out there chasing after the next cyclist that comes along.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerYour experience is making me rethink dog spray; I've always said I was going to carry it, but....never have. I hate thinking of using it. Anyway, take care gang.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Dan ChaneyHey, this is Dan from the doctors office. I was just wondering how your leg was feeling today!
Think you’ll be able to ride?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich McKayWe had light rain on and off all day today. No heavy rain and no thunderstorms, so it was only a mild nuisance. Sunshine in the forcast for tomorrow!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Alain AbbateI expect that you are right. Once we get all the medical, sheriff's and health department reports, we're going to contact our attorney to she if she thinks it's worth pursuing. I would love to do something that would prevent this happening to someone else.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Dan ChaneyHi Dan. I'm better now and we rode to Crawfordville today with no problem - except the rain:). I think my leg is going to heal up fine. Thank you again for coming to our aid on Friday. We really appreciate it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerWe may get some more, but in this case, it wouldn't have helped. I had no idea the dog was there until a second before it bit me.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Michael and Diane RuddockTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithWe're so very sorry to hear about your terrible dog bite experience. Definitely a cyclist's nightmare. It will be good to hear back from the sheriff about the documented status of the dog's shots. Hope your attorney is able to pursue some action which is a deterrent to the irresponsible owners.

Our cycling group once had a repetitive situation like that where a large dog would chase cyclists up a long hill. It was dramatically resolved one day when the dog was fatally hit by a truck while chasing a few from our cycling group. Some people just shouldn't own dogs.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Michael and Diane RuddockI agree - the dog owners are much more responsible for this event that the dog. Our friends who just completed the Southern Tier saw two dogs chasing their group killed by cars on consecutive days. Both happened n Louisiana. We will be more anxious than usual riding through there.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago