Day 88 - Dickinson to Glen Ullin - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2021

Day 88 - Dickinson to Glen Ullin

Heart 1 Comment 0

We made serious progress toward home today.  We got back into Central Time.  It was a good ride, but very hot the last hour.  There were two towns for rest stops along the way, so we spent more time than I expected on the road.  It was nice to have indoor, air conditioned places with tables and chairs to take breaks rather than standing on the side of the road or sitting on bridge railings.  We took long breaks at both places.

North Dakota farm and hay field
Heart 2 Comment 0
The largest group of horses we've seen on this trip
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another beautiful view
Heart 3 Comment 2
Rose SamsonI can sit there and enjoy the peaceful beauty of Nature with the gentle breeze touching my skin! We all need a place like this in our life.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonIt's part of why we enjoy cycling so much. "The peaceful beauty of Nature" says it very well.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

The first town we came to was Richardton.  This is the main street.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerGhost town right
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
There was a large rail yard
Heart 1 Comment 0
Grain elevator
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kerry thinks these are feed bins. Is he right?
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltYup, grain bins of some sort.

https://amberwavesinc.com/
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
We traveled on Hwy 10 today. It was a good cycling road.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rose SamsonI can only imagine the tandems wheels sliding through the road
smoothly. The path is Clear! What a nice day to pedal.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The second town was Hebron. This is it's main street.
Heart 2 Comment 0

In Hebron, we wanted to have lunch, but we couldn't find a restaurant.  We went in this bar and meet the owner Craig or "Bubba".  We had Diet Cokes, a microwaved frozen sandwich and a good time hanging out with Bubba for a little while.

Craig ("Bubba"), owner of Brick City Bar and Grill
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hebron calls itself "Brick City". I wonder how many towns in the USA are called brick city?
Heart 0 Comment 1
Michael and Diane RuddockOcala, Florida for one.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
An empty coal train headed west to load up.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We are spending the night tonight at the Broken Spoke Bunkhouse.  This is the manager Sheila.  She will stay here tonight to be sure that we all behave ourselves and don't get too rowdy.

Sheila
Heart 2 Comment 1

The other guest is Seth.  He is on a cycle tour from Seattle to Minneapolis.  After a few days in the heat of Washington, he flew from Spokane to Minneapolis and is now cycling west to Spokane.  

Heart 1 Comment 0

Not long after we arrived, it started to rain hard and there was some small hail for a few minutes.  The kids loved looking at it out the door.

Heart 4 Comment 0
It was nice to have a good rain after all the dry days - nice because the rain is happening outside of cycling hours!
Heart 2 Comment 2
Curt & Helene ReedYou will also be able to sleep in and leave at the decent hour
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rose SamsonOh my, reminds me of Chicago when Mr. Winter Comes we come out of the house & throw snowballs at each other. Those hails falling from the sky are hard, it leaves many Dents all over the car. We love to here the tik tok, & enjoy watching and laughing inside the house. We were kids!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

The forecast for tomorrow is rain ending in the morning with a high of 74 and a low of 50.  Heat won't be a problem tomorrow.  We may have to get our our cool weather gear :-)

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 3,337 miles (5,370 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0