Day 70 - In Douglas - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2021

Day 70 - In Douglas

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today we rode into town to visit two local museums and tour the historic downtown area.

The Wyoming Pioneer Museum is on the grounds of the Wyoming State Fairgrounds.  It has items related to Wyoming and Converse County history, mostly from the late 1800's.

In keeping with my recent history of posting pictures of beautiful desks, here is the one that was sitting at the entrance to the museum.

On the desks are items relating to the jackalope. The jackalope was created by a local taxidermist in 1934.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is one of the original jackalopes, a cross between a jack rabbit and an antelope.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Douglas has embraced being the home of the jackalope and calls itself the "Jackalope City".

It even has a proclamation from the governor of Wyoming. You can scroll in to read it. It's entertaining.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Converse County was the home of Frank "Wild Horse" Robbins, who became well known for capturing large numbers of wild horses and for his ability to break the horses.   During WWI, he broke horses for use by the US Army.

His most famous method of capturing the horses was using an airplane to force them into corrals.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is his saddle and a poem he wrote for it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A advertisement for his rodeo in a nearby town.
Heart 1 Comment 0

A great find in the cowboy section was this pack saddle including "panniers".

Scroll in to read the tag.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The museum had this accurate replica of a Plains Native American Tipi made for the film "Dances with Wolves"

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerI wish I could carry one of those on my bike ~ don't say it.....
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerVery interesting!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

In the history of Wyoming homes, I found an early vacuum cleaner

The sign says it was from 1909.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A vacuum washer - I don't know what that means. It's from 1887.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And another piece of homemaking apparatus I can't identify. I'm thinking maybe it's a butter churn?
Heart 1 Comment 0

In a section of early medicines, I found this.  I love the name "Americanitis Elixer".  Does a remedy with 15% alcohol cause or cure "Americanitis"?

Heart 1 Comment 0

And speaking of 15% alcohol, the museum had this gorgeous bar, built in England in 1914 for the LaBonte Hotel here in Douglas.

Heart 2 Comment 0

 One last item from this museum, another fine piece of furniture.

Wonderful carving!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Next we went to the Railroad Museum.  It was pretty disappointing with not much to see and nothing new to learn.

It did feature this larger than life statue of the town's claim to fame.
Heart 1 Comment 0

And an old steam locomotive.

The CB&Q 4-8-4 locomotive #5633
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A double deck stock car. Originally built in 1914 as a standard box car, it was converted to a double deck stock car in 1936 to haul sheep or pigs and retired in 1964.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After the museums, it was time for lunch.  We took a spin through the historic district and the College Inn Bar caught our attention.  As we were wheeling up the sidewalk, I saw the Corner Barber Shop next door.  I had already stopped at two salons we passed today and neither took walk-ins.  I decided to try the barber.

The barber at the Corner Barber Shop was happy to cut my hair.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Troy the barber - thanks for the cut. We enjoyed meeting you.
Heart 2 Comment 0

With my badly needed haircut accomplished, it was really time to eat.  We had a good lunch and a good time at the College Inn Bar, which was right next door to the barbershop and recommended by Troy.

The College Inn Bar is a true historic establishment in Douglas. The name is a mystery, lost in history, as Douglas had no colleges in 1906. However, a couple of patrons sitting at the bar did look like they had earned their PHD at the establishment (Pure Hard Drinker)
Heart 2 Comment 0
It was very dark inside and I had a hard time getting photos of the old woodwork and original details. The bar is the oldest established business in the same location in Douglas and is on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We rode back to the Hampton Inn to relax for the rest of the day.  We're taking a second day off here tomorrow to work on our route past Montana and just enjoy a little down time.

Today's ride: 4 miles (6 km)
Total: 2,664 miles (4,287 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Keith A. SpanglerYou guys are inspiring to me; not sure I'll ever get something like this done in my life time. I heard Canada was suppose to release some NEWS June 22. I really hope they open the border. Friends, be safe and continue forward.....
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerYour day will come! It sounds as if Canada will open later in the summer.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithAnnounced today border is closed for another month at which time a decision will be revisited. I've come up with an alternate plan to cycle in Washington, so no worries.....be flexible..... Good night; sitting by the fire pit under the stars.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich McKayWe stayed at that Hampton Inn in Douglas on our drive through that part of the country.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich McKayIt was a nice place for our three night respite from daily cycling. Did you eat at the College Inn Bar?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago