Day 63 - Oshkosh to Bridgeport - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2021

Day 63 - Oshkosh to Bridgeport

On the trail

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was a great ride today until the heat got pretty uncomfortable the last half hour.  We began with a brisk tailwind and were cruising along at 16-18 mph.  The Nebraska scenery was something different for us and we enjoyed the views.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cows, of course!
Heart 1 Comment 2
Mike ObermeyerWhy do the cows always look at you the same way?
Is it something that Kerry does?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Mike ObermeyerCows often turn and watch us as we ride by. We've had cows run along the fence line with us. They must like bicycles.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

It's haying time here, as we've seen the last few days.

Hay baler
Heart 2 Comment 0
Getting ready to load newly rolled bales
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a decent shoulder from the beginning, but a few miles in, we got a newly paved shoulder, which apparently took precedence over the traffic lanes.  We we very happy!

Perfect paving priority
Heart 2 Comment 0

One of the good things about today's route was that we had stops along the way.  At sixteen miles, we came to the town of Lisco.  We knew there wasn't much there, but a bank showed up on Google maps.

Old granary at Lisco
Heart 1 Comment 0
Points West Community Bank. It was the only open business we could find in Lisco
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped at the bank and found a sign on the front door proclaiming No Public Restrooms.  We thought we might at least rest in the lobby and enjoy some air conditioning.  The folks inside were very nice, welcomed us in, gave us bottled water  - and let us use the restroom.  We appreciated their kindness very much.

The warm and friendly bank staff - Brittany, Michael and Jean
Heart 3 Comment 0

Our route today followed the north shore of the North Platte River.  It is the route of the Oregon Trail and the Mormon Pioneer Trail.

We saw this sign a few times today.
Heart 2 Comment 0

This is a landmark on the trail.  I'm going to give you a chance to guess what's it's called before I post the interpretive marker.  

What does it look like to you?
Heart 2 Comment 0
I thought it really resembled a frog's head. If you scroll in, you can read this marker.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A view of the North Platte River. We will be following the river until we reach Casper, Wyoming.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another landmark on the trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
The actual formations are well in the distance, but visible.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The second stop on our route was at the Broadwater Country Store.  It is a nice convenience store with a great owner.  He is working hard to keep this business open in the tiny town of Broadwater.

Donnie - it was nice meeting you.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Another historical marker we passed today.  

Heart 1 Comment 0
Bluffs
Heart 2 Comment 0
Butte
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hills
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerCool landscapes!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We asked Donnie about bluffs and buttes and he said they just call them all hills.

At Bridgeport, we visited the Pioneer Trails Museum.  It is a small place with local artifacts and a terrific docent, Billie.  She gave us a tour and shared  local and personal stories about some of the items.

Heart 1 Comment 0
This beautiful desk belonged to a local mapmaker.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is a mousetrap
Heart 2 Comment 0
Billie wasn't sure how it worked. Why is there a hole on the side?
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is a "boot" for a mule, to protect their feet from sharp rocks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is a very interesting item, used to wean calves. It fits over a calf's head to prevent it's mother from nursing it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is a corn shucker. This one was completely new to both of us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And this gorgeous little item is a dinner bell. It looks like something that should be used to summon the queen to dinner, not the family of a plains settler.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 2,477 miles (3,986 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0