Day 62 - Julesburg to Oshkosh - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2021

Day 62 - Julesburg to Oshkosh

Back to Nebraska

Heart 1 Comment 0

It was another short and sweet day.  I am getting used to these sub-40 mile days.  Sadly, we can't find enough indoor lodging to make every ride this short.

After our brief foray into Colorado, we were quickly back into Nebraska, just 1.5 miles into the ride.  There was no sign to mark the state line.   The route was a gradual climb north until we had a steep, beautiful descent to the North Platte River at Oshkosh.  Julesburg is on the South Platte, so we rode between the two today.

Seemingly endless Nebraska wheat field
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tractor working in field
Heart 1 Comment 0
I said no more elevator pictures, but we got to watch this truck being loaded, so it seemed picture-worthy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We passed a farm where they were cutting silage.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The guy on the silage chopper was waiting for the tractor with wheel rake to finish raking.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Start of descent to river
Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThat probably felt good....descent
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The hills behind us
Heart 1 Comment 0
We think these are buttes
Heart 1 Comment 1
Alain AbbateYup, those are some beauts!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
View looking north toward Oshkosh
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
North Platte River
Heart 1 Comment 0
North Platte River
Heart 1 Comment 0

Historical marker coming into Oshkosh

Ten deaths per mile - it was a very tough trip!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry here...

After we checked in to our motel, we went into town to eat lunch.  We ate at the Patriot Grill where we had the largest BBQ beef sandwiches we've ever had.  I guess this really is "Beef Country"! 

 After lunch we waddled around the town to see the sights where we saw several interesting buildings and murals.

A nice courthouse but it was not on a square. I really like towns with courthouse squares.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I guess you could call this a small business. The photo really doesn't do justice as to how small the buildng is.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An old granary next to the tracks. A Union Pacific mainline goes right through town.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Side view of the granary
Heart 1 Comment 0

Oshkosh has several murals.  We didn't get them all, but here are some.

There was a sign saying that this mural was an high school art class project.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerLove the building artwork!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 2
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Curt & Helene ReedCousin???
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mural on the side of the local newspaper building
Heart 2 Comment 0

As we walked by the newpaper office, there was a sign on the door that said "Welcome, Come In"  so I did. 

 I met Karen who is the retired Oshkosh postmaster ,and now works at the newpaper as a "hobby job".  She very patiently answered all my questions about the paper and the town.  She later stopped by the motel to give us a paper and take our photo.  I think we'll be in another small town paper :-)

Karen - Oshkosh reporter extrordinaire!
Heart 4 Comment 0

Back to Jeanna...

We are staying tonight at the Shady Rest Motel.  This place is everything you'd hope a locally owned roadside motel would be and comes with the added bonus of an absolutely delightful, but camera shy, owner.  Thank you, Maggie, for welcoming us to your place.

This is Maggie's companion, Blu. She likes having her picture taken.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 2,432 miles (3,914 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0