Day 48 - Minneola to Montezuma - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2021

Day 48 - Minneola to Montezuma

Taking the Seavo home

Heart 2 Comment 4
Alain AbbateJust curious - when your GPS gave you directions to Fowler, did it say "follow the yellow brick road"?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Alain AbbateSorry, Alain, but that's over my head. What am I missing?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Alain AbbateTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithThe map at the top of your post shows that you were on the Yellow Brick Road heading into Fowler. Maybe the locals just call it US 54.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Alain AbbateI asked and no locals call it the "Yellow Brick Road" or even knew it was named that on a map. In 1981, Liberal, KS, not far away, brought in an old farm house and christened it "Dorothy's House", even though nothing in the book or movie indicate Dorothy was from Liberal. I guess the Yellow Brick Road is an addition to the tourist seeking.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We got an earlier start today at 9:00.  It was very foggy, which makes me a little concerned about our visibility, even with all the lights we have on the bike.  But the fog cleared pretty quickly and we soon had blue skies and sunshine.  Mother Nature continued to favor us with mostly tailwinds until the last six miles.

Paul led us through the town of Fowler. Most of it was very attractive.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There were some businesses operating in town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And this one even had a decorative bike. I don't think it was an actual bike shop. It looked like a "collectibles" store.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Paul's goal was to show us this - the world's smallest cement jail.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The jail
Heart 1 Comment 2
Mike ObermeyerLooks like it's been shot a few times.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Curt & Helene ReedImagine serving a life sentence in this one
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
And is this the exercise yard adjacent to the jail house?
Heart 1 Comment 0

We finished our tour of Fowler and rode northwest toward Montezuma.  It was a nice ride on good roads.  There were almost no traffic most of the way.

This looked like an abandoned old silo and some outbuildings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I haven't posted many pictures of horses. We do see many of them.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And I have to post at least one cow picture every day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This was what our route was like most of the way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We passed miles of farmland that used center pivot irrigation systems today. We also rode through an area that was planted in corn, rather than the wheat that has been the predominant crop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Irrigation well
Heart 2 Comment 0

We arrived in Montezuma in the early afternoon and went to RANS bicycle company where our Seavo and our two Phoenixes were made.  They were closed for lunch, but we soon ran into the family in town.  This is a small specialty bike company which does outstanding work building bikes by hand one at a time.  After we checked into our B&B, Kerry rode the Seavo back to RANS to do some maintenance and mostly to talk bikes with the RANS team.

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 2,033 miles (3,272 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0