Day 47 - Ashland to Minneola - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2021

Day 47 - Ashland to Minneola

Heart 1 Comment 0

It was a short day, but it was hilly!  It was also the first day in a while that it's been really warm.  Overall, it was a great day for a short ride.

We started with a museum in Ashland.  It was called the Pioneer-Krier Museum.  It housed artifacts from the early days of white settlement in Ashland - beginning in the late 1880's - and also had planes and memorabilia from Harold Krier, a local man who designed, built and flew aerobatic bi-wing planes in airshows in the 1950's and 1960's.

Ashland First National Bank building, 1887. Kerry wondered how many First National Banks there are in the United States.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerLove old buildings like that.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Outside the museum, this old tractor invited being climbed on.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerYou look natural up there. Maybe you trade your tandem in. (just kidding)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

 Inside the museum, more early 20th century items

An old wood stove
Heart 2 Comment 1
Curt & Helene ReedDid that old stove invite Jeanna to cook?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
And I know what this is now!
Heart 2 Comment 0
But this thing, I didn't know. Paul told me what it was, but I'll put it at the end so you can guess if you want to.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There  were some old communication aids

An antique typewriter
Heart 2 Comment 0
And an antique IBM PC
Heart 2 Comment 0

Even though many of the items we see in these museums are pretty much the same, we usually find at least one different thing.  This museum had the town mortuary office on display.

The museum staffer told us the wicker box was used to transport bodies from the home to the mortuary.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A feed grinder. An animal (usually a horse) would be tethered to the long bar on the left and would walk in circles. That would rotate the large gear ring on the outside which in turn would rotate the smaller planetary gears and grind the grain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A more detailed view.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Harold Krier was a local man who was an airshow stunt pilot in the 50's and 60's.  He served in the Army Air Corps in WWII and became interested in aerobatic stunt flying after the war.  This is one of his planes.  He was killed in 1971 in a practice flight.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerLooks like he was a hunter and a runner.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

There were no stores or services after we left Ashland, so we just rode through the Kansas countryside.

This is Paul on his heavily customized RANS Phoenix.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Paul KriegTouring with Kerry and Jeanna means you had better be in good shape or have e-assist. They are not messing around when they get out on the road. Going downhill, the fact that I was on a recumbent made no difference. They still rolled away from me.........when coasting! The only place I had no trouble keeping up with them was on the flats and the up hill parts, and that was because I had e-assist. Were it not for that, we would have seen each other only twice a day......at the start and sometime later at the destination.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kansas red hills
Heart 3 Comment 1
More red hills
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we rode north, the hills flattened out and we had some sweeping vistas. There is a homestead in the distance.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Big Basin
Heart 1 Comment 0
The sink is surrounded by higher ground.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is not a valley surrounded by hills, but a depression in the land.
Heart 3 Comment 0

And the answer to the metal box above is pump cover.  Paul said it would have been used indoors to cover a water pump and then cranked to obtain water.

We will get to Montezuma, home of RANS and birthplace of our Seavo, tomorrow.  We will take a short pause there and enjoy a three night stay.

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 1,989 miles (3,201 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0