Day 149 - Archbold to Bowling Green - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2021

Day 149 - Archbold to Bowling Green

We had a pleasant ride through wonderfully flat northwest Ohio today.  It was Florida like in that the only grade we encountered over 2% was a highway overpass.

Shortly after we left Archbold, we passed this tower. I don't know what it's original purpose was, but it is a very good place for antennae here in this flat terrain.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bob & Jan ThompsonIf this tower is dated from the 1800's it could be a 'shot tower'...where molten lead was dropped to produce lead shot for muskets. Although it does look a little too tall for this purpose and the majority were round not square.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
I think I have just about exhausted all the observations and comments I can make about corn and soybeans. Here we noticed that the front few rows of corn had the tops cut off. It was just done in this one section.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltSeed corn. Detasseling is done so the pollen of the other line of genetics planted next to it is the only one to pollinate that few rows. If it was pollinated by its own genetic line, the desired characteristics of the cross-pollination would not turn out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detasseling
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
These horses started running around as we rode past. I think they wanted to get out and run with us!
Heart 1 Comment 0
This first town we went through was Wauseon. It's another nice small town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is home to the Fulton County Courthouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We saw barns, of course

I need to look back and see when was the last post I did without a barn picture!
Heart 2 Comment 0
A big field full of squash.
Heart 1 Comment 0
They squash are tall and white, even though they look yellowish in this picture. I can't identify the variety.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltButternut. Had some today! Good food.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_squash
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

The next town we rode through was Grand Rapids.  Sometime I should look at all our journals and see how many Grand Rapids we've visited while bike touring.

Grand Rapids, Ohio is on the south bank of the Maumee River and along the route of the historic Miami & Erie Canal. The old towpath is now a bicycle and pedestrian trail. We rode it last year.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riverfront park
Heart 1 Comment 0
Maumee River
Heart 1 Comment 0
The rapids in the Maumee River
Heart 1 Comment 0

One of the things Kerry was looking forward to today was a visit to the National Construction Equipment Museum near Bowling Green.  We checked the website and it was supposed to be open.

There was a chain across the entrance, so no construction equipment touring today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kerry was disappointed to miss this one.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bowling Green
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our hotel is right across the street from the campus of Bowling Green State University.  As we were riding in, we saw a little white vehicle running down the sidewalk.  Here is more of the fleet parked in front of McDonald's next door to the hotel.

Starship Technologies operates robotic delivery vehicles on over 20 college campuses in the United States. I don't know how efficient they are, but they certainly look cool!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 5,570 miles (8,964 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0