Day 104 - Canton to Sheldon - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2021

Day 104 - Canton to Sheldon

Heart 1 Comment 0

We had another good ride today, even with a bit of climbing.  The weather was good, the wind was only a little bothersome on the short section we rode due south and we had stops every seven to eleven miles.   Indoor plumbing is such a luxury!

In the first mile, we came to these historical markers.  There was nothing to see, but here is the information for your reading pleasure.

Image not found :(
Heart 0 Comment 1
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was only three miles to the Iowa line.  

The Big Sioux River forms the boundary between South Dakota and Iowa.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This sign was at the bridge. My picture of the Iowa welcome sign was just a blur - and not because we were riding so fast :>)
Heart 2 Comment 0
This was the first house we saw in Iowa. I thought it was a really pretty home.
Heart 4 Comment 0

A few miles into Iowa, we came to the town of Inwood.  Kerry has had some back pain and wanted to find a place we could sit down.  It was only 10:00, but we noticed a delivery guy going into this restaurant.  I looked in and saw one table of several ladies.  They weren't eating, just having coffee.  I asked if the restaurant were open and Patty, the cook/server/maybe owner? said it was not really, but we could come in for rest, A/C and something to drink.

Burn's Grill - the place to meet in Inwood, IA
Heart 1 Comment 0
Patty - very welcoming and hospitable. She has three daily groups - two women's and one men's - who meet here daily for coffee when the grill is closed. She opens the restaurant at 5:00.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
The morning coffee group They meet here every morning at 10:00 for coffee and conversation. The number of the group varies from day to day. Some of them have been meeting here for years.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There was a large dairy farm near Inwood.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We exchanged greetings with these guys who were putting tires on the covered silage fire brigade style.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This picture is for Sylvie and Pierre - I doubt this town has the entertaining history of your Hull.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Old barn picture of the day
Heart 2 Comment 0
And this picture is for Stan. Some of these cars could race at the Citrus Motor Speedway.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The last thing we did before checking into our motel today was stop at the local hospital to have my sutures removed.  (I attempted unsuccessfully to do this myself.)  I waited less than 5 minutes before being seen. The nurse and the NP who treated me were both great, and had the sutures removed in no time.  

Besides the great service, we also recieved free ice cream.  It seems that the hospital was celebrating National Hot Dog Day by providing free hot dogs and ice cream to the staff.  While the medical staff was working on my leg, the receptionist brought us both bowls of ice cream - never before have I had a medical procedure done while enjoying a bowl of ice cream!!  It made an excellent ending for this medical adventure.

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 3,883 miles (6,249 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0