Day 105 - Sheldon to Spencer - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2021

Day 105 - Sheldon to Spencer

Heart 1 Comment 0

We awoke this morning to unexpected rain showers.  They were forecast to end by 10:00, so we enjoyed a lazy morning while waiting for the rain to pass.  We were ready to ride at 10:00, but there was still some light rain.  After discussing the options, we decided to put on the rain covers and take off.  By the time we had all the panniers covered, the rain had completely stopped and we had a dry ride the whole day.

We rode ten miles to Sanborn, took a little break at Casey's, and then rode through downtown.

The main street of Sanborn
Heart 2 Comment 0
As is the case with so many small towns, Sanborn began as a railroad town.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Curt & Helene ReedBeautiful mural
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mike ObermeyerThat took a while to paint. Thanks for the photo.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

After riding though the business disctrict, we went to the Yesterdays Memories Museum.   The museum is owned by Vander Haag, Inc. which is a large used truck and truck parts dealer with 8 locations in 5 states.  In the old days, we would just say they have a big truck junkyard business, but it is much more than that.  The Vander Haag family members have been collectors of old trucks, old cars and a very diverse variety of "old stuff".  The retired senior member of the family, John Vander Haag, was at the museum today and spent some time showing us around.  It was he who started collecting trucks and cars years ago.

This is the center room of the museum. There are a total of seven buildings.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerWow, that looks amazing....so cool trucks in there!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
This is the truck that started John's collection.
Heart 1 Comment 0
1917 GMC farm truck
Heart 2 Comment 0
This was the oddest looking truck on the main floor, I thought. A 1963 Corvair "Rampside"
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerI remember them! So cool... Thanks for sharing....
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Image not found :(
A very strange design!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerI have seen a couple of these, but this one is the best. Thanks
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Some of the family members have collected classic cars, as well as trucks.

Heart 0 Comment 0
This one is gorgeous!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonIt is a beautiful Car! I like the color too. Nice ride for a tour.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
A 1925 Yellowstone tourist bus
Heart 2 Comment 0
A very nice Woodie.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rose SamsonThis "Woodie car" is so unique. There's probably a folding bed inside
so you don't need a motel when you travel. The red and tan color is just perfect for this car! Attractive!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rose SamsonThis "Woodie car" is so unique. There's probably a folding bed inside
so you don't need a motel when you travel. The red and tan color is just perfect for this car! Attractive!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Kerry walked through the other buildings full of all kinds of trucks.

There was an extensive collection of old fire trucks - most of them were from surrounding towns.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A majority of the trucks on display have been restored. Each restored truck had a data sheet containing the date, milage and level of restoration as well as the person / company who did the restoration. A lot of the trucks looked better than new.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The buildings (and trucks) went on and on. The collection is still growing and there is a new 400' x 100' building under construction to house even more trucks!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Michael and Diane RuddockThanks for all these wonderful photos!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

While Kerry was checking out all the trucks, I went upstairs of the main building where there was an eclectic collection of  thousands of items.  In search of something novel, I found this - a bedpan collection!

Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerThat's a pisser.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We're still in Iowa, so we looked at many miles of farms again today.  It is usually a very calm and relaxing ride through all the agriculture, but today we had to deal with a shoulder ruined by rumble strips along most of the route.

Just a guy going to work.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We see many of these corn and soybean test plots.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More dairy cows
Heart 1 Comment 0
And we saw wind turbines today for the first time in at least a week, I think.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We're spending tonight and tomorrow night in Spencer.  

The ride into town was through a beautiful historic residential area.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rose SamsonDriving through this road is "welcoming". You feel relaxed & lots of smile as you drive along. Are those Gas Lamps?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
There were many restored large old homes.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There were a few mansion size houses, but they were hidden behind large trees, so I didn't get any good pictures of them.

This one was very appealing, I thought.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonWow! what a beautiful House. The owner must be an architect.
Good choice of soft green paint, goes well in between the trees.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

That neighborhood opened onto the old downtown business district, which was also very nice.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow, we plan to visit Spencer's historical museum.  I hope that they don't have any trucks!

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 3,924 miles (6,315 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerThanks again for all the great pictures.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago