Day 1 - Crystal River to Chiefland - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

April 9, 2021

Day 1 - Crystal River to Chiefland

First bite done

Heart 2 Comment 1
Ken GassSooo good to see your post as proof that your first segment is in the book. Some miles to the north around Tallahassee we had stormy weather on Day 41 of our Southern Tier Ride. Funny how all your pictures are still familiar from our great 2019 ride with you two. Looking forward to our reunion tonight in High Springs!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We spent the morning at home getting ready to be gone for five months.  After six years of this, I think we finally got on the road with no forgotten tasks.  We didn't have to call any neighbors to go take care of something we failed to do.  I really do think that's a first.

Our community park - see you in September.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our ride today was one we've done many times.  We rode 50 miles north from our small town of Crystal River to the even smaller Chiefland.  The route is flat and straight with a wide shoulder the whole way.  Our first official stop of So Far 2021 was at our favorite Subway in Inglis, about 15 miles from home.  This is a regular ride for us, usually two or three times a week.  We had a good lunch and said goodbye for 5 months.

Kerry with our favorite lunch makers - Curtis, Morgan and Heavenly
Heart 3 Comment 0

We stopped again at a county park near the  former community of Gulf Hammock.  I don't think there is anything left of Gulf Hammock except a small post office.

The locomotive is a gift from a former lumber company which logged here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Information about Gulf Hammock
Heart 1 Comment 0
And about the locomotive and railroad - if you zoom in, you can read it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Some local wildlife which disappeared into the woods before I could get a good picture. I don't know what roosters were doing in this little park.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Hershel's Country Store is the only store between Inglis and Chiefland.  You have to get a key to the bathroom which is outside, around back, and you have to check the dates on any snacks or drinks you buy, but we are always glad to get here after 24 miles without a break.

Hershel's Country Store
Heart 3 Comment 0

One of the things we missed most last summer was being able to stop and talk to people.  We have already enjoyed being able to do that this year.  While we were sitting in Hershel's drinking our tea, this gentlemen asked if he might sit down at the table.   He assured us he wouldn't get too close and had been vaccinated.  We replied that we, too, were fully vaccinated and he was welcome to join us.  (Is that going to be the new social etiquette - providing your vaccine status to others?)  Anyway, Randy is a retired Air Force veteran with 35 years of service and we had a very good time talking with him.  

It was great meeting you, Randy!
Heart 4 Comment 0

Tomorrow, we are riding to High Springs, where we will meet up with our friends Ken and Francie.   In 2019, we took a short trip with Ken & Francie around north-central Florida.  Our journal of that trip can be found here on Cycleblaze: A Little Two Far

Currently, Ken and Francie are  two days away from completing the Southern Tier with their group from Cycle of Life Adventures.   Their journal of the trip can be found here on CycleBlaze: Gass-powered Tandem: xcountry.

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 53 miles (85 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Keith A. SpanglerGO RVing guys, safe and happy trails!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithThank you, Kathleen. Having fun is the whole point, isn't it?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerThanks, Keith. We'll be looking forward to following your tour.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Curt & Helene ReedGood start my friends. We will miss you but will travel with you on your blog
Reply to this comment
3 years ago