Day 92 Shediac, NB - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2019

Day 92 Shediac, NB

Heart 2 Comment 0

We did great with the bridge shuttle this morning.  We rolled into the information center where the shuttle departs and there was a bridge authority pick-up truck parked out front.  Kerry walked in, paid our fare and in five minutes we were loading the bike and gear in the truck.  This one was a club cab, so I could go along and didn't have to wait for the shuttle bus.  Fifteen minutes later, we were safely in New Brunswick.   It was our most efficient bridge shuttle ever.

The ride was nice today.  It was very rural and within sight of the Northlumberland Strait much of the way.  The weather was perfect and the miles passed quickly - at least for me.  Kerry's knees and back were talking to him a little and I don't think he had quite as good a day as I did.

Here are some pictures of the scenery.

A field of wheat
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bales of hay. Behind the hay is a potato field.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cottage by the sea
Heart 3 Comment 0
Some people enjoying the beach
Heart 1 Comment 0
Old boat
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerI love old boats; you have to wonder their history.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithI feel the same way - where has she been and what has she seen? I love pondering the history of old things in general.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Marsh
Heart 1 Comment 0

I mentioned recently that it was between lobster seasons on PEI.  It must be the same in New Brunswick.  We passed many houses with large stacks of lobster traps in the yard.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

After weeks of not seeing any other touring cyclists, we saw five today.  Kerry talked briefly to a father and son waiting for a shuttle across the Confederation Bridge to PEI.  They were French speakers, so it was a very limited conversation.  We saw two women on loaded bikes traveling east near Murray Corner.  We slowed down and waved, but they barely acknowledged us and rode on past.  A few miles later we saw Steve.  He crossed over to chat (no lice picking involved!).  He's from Vancouver and had flown into Montreal for a week long group ride and was now riding on his own to PEI and the Magdalen Islands.  He took a picture of the three of us that he's going to email us next week.  I'll post it when we get it.  He's one of those unfortunate souls who still has to work, so he didn't have time for a longer tour.  I think he said this was his first bike tour.  He seemed to be having a great time.

Tomorrow we head on west along the Acadian Coastal Drive to Richibucto.  For the first time in a few weeks, we will be in places we've never been before.  We're looking forward to it.

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 3,457 miles (5,564 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Janet Anspach-RickeyJeanna,
I'm using your system of taking a day off a week and reserving places ahead of time due to riding near Sturgis during the motorcycle rally when all parts near will be filled. After my fifth broken spoke it was time for a new wheel here in Brookings and I was able to shift our day off to today and we will only spend one night in Howard instead of two. Just want to let you know we are taking advantage of your system and so far it is working out for us! I wish I could post our maps but I guess I need a computer to do it!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithI'm glad that my system helped you. I am just too lazy to travel without definite plans. I hate the idea of having to spend the time and effort to find a place at the end of a riding day. Our planned days off give us all the flexibility we need. I hope your new wheel will get you home. After all these months, you guys don't have too far to go now, do you? Happy pedaling!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago