Day 91 Borden-Carleton, PEI - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2019

Day 91 Borden-Carleton, PEI

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today was short and easy.  We rode from Summerside to Borden-Carleton and are in a motel just about a mile from the Confederation Bridge.  Tomorrow we'll shuttle back to New Brunswick.

We stopped at a little museum in Bedeque which was fun to explore.  It was in the building which housed the local general store from 1899 until the early 2000's.  It contained many artifacts from the store's early years, as well as historical items from the local area.

The original cash register
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cheese cutter
Heart 2 Comment 0
Soda fountain
Heart 2 Comment 0

The upper level housed a collection of items of daily life.  In addition to the usual parlor, kitchen and bedroom displays that all these places have, there was this old tub

Heart 2 Comment 0

and outhouse seats!  I've seen plenty of old outhouses, but not in the house.  The setting seems a little icky to me.

Heart 1 Comment 0

There was a display about the history of the ferries that ran between PEI and New Brunswick from the 1800's until 1999.  I didn't no that there was a vote on PEI about building the bridge.  Apparently, there was some strong opposition, with about 40% of the islanders voting NO.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We got to our motel before 1:00 and were pleased that we could go ahead and check in.  We unloaded the bike and then rode down to the Gateway Village.  It's a collection and shops, restaurants and tourist oriented activities at the end of the bridge.  We had a disappointing lunch - a shame for our last day on the island - and then visited the site of the ferry landing which ceased service after the bridge was built.  

This is where the NB ferry used to dock.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A view of the bridge
Heart 3 Comment 0
A troll's view of the bridge
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 21 miles (34 km)
Total: 3,403 miles (5,477 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich McKayJust wondering at this point of your ride how many sets of tires you've gone through?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich McKayRich,

We started out with lightly used tires and just replaced them about 900 miles ago. We got about 3300 miles on that set - they still had tread left, but we blew out a sidewall as we wrote about previously.
Hopefully, the current set will get us to Buffalo, but I'm carrying 2 worn spares just in case.

Kerry

Kerry
Reply to this comment
4 years ago