Day 31 Exmore, VA - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2019

Day 31 Exmore, VA

The adventure continues

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a relaxing evening and slept well in Susan and Steve's guest apartment.  After breakfast, Susan and Steve rode the first few miles with us, then split off the continue their ride while we continued to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel.

Susan and Steve, our Warmshowers hosts. We've hosted a bunch of Warmshowers guests, but we've never been guests ourselves. It was an excellent experience. We'll have to do it more often.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had arranged a shuttle at the bridge and the driver arrived right on time in a van.  We loaded the bike in and Kerry decided it would be safest to lay it down because there was no way to secure it standing up.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We couldn't ride in the van, but had to wait for another driver with a truck.  It was a nice ride across and it gave us our only view of the Atlantic Ocean today.  We're up to 21 days out of the 31 we've been traveling with at least one view of the ocean.

We got across and unloaded the bike.  The driver was very interested in our trip and Kerry gave him one of our cards.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We were about to find out that the bike was damaged in this shuttle process, but since I whined about yesterday's tough ride, I'll let Kerry tell that story.  

Our ride up the Virginia Eastern Shore was very nice.  The area we rode through was all farms - we saw miles and miles of potato fields, some corn and wheat, and then huge tomato farms.

We rode along very quiet, peaceful roads with almost no traffic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Potatoes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Potatoes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tomatoes. There was a whole forest of tomato stakes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another tomato stake forest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wheat
Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw many beautiful old homes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
And some that needed a little work.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This big wooden train was cool.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In a few places where there were not farms, the roads ran through pretty woods.
Heart 1 Comment 0

This is the last crop we saw today.  Kerry thinks maybe it's hops.

We think these folks were working on hops trellises.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

A very expensive shuttle ride

I don't know if 2 days constitutes a string, but  we've recently had a run of bad luck.  Yesterday, we got led astray by our GPS, but at least that didn't cost us anything but time and a few tick bites. 

Today was much more expensive.  As we were unloading the bike from the shuttle van, we noticed that the back wheel wouldn't roll.  It didn't take long to realize that the problem was, when we put the bike in the van, we had to tilt the tiller as far forward as it would go to have enough clearance to load the bike.  When we were unloading, the pedals got caught in all the cables and that locked the  pedals up, hence the wheel wouldn't roll backwards. I got the pedal out of the cables and thought everything was OK - until we started out and I noticed that the rear brake would not release.  We pedaled over to the nearby Visitors Center where we removed the panniers so I could check things out.  After a few minutes I determined that when the pedals got tangled in the cables, it put a big kink in the rear brake cable housing.  I loosened the cable clamps and finagled with the housing to straighten it out.  I got it straight enough that the brake releases , its not quite right, but it will work well enough until we can find a bike shop and get a new housing and cable - just a minor expense at this point - probably $20-$30.  It was then that I noticed that the wire for the rear taillight had pulled out of the headlight - no problem - its a spade plug - so I just plugged it back in.  However, when I spun the front wheel to activate the dynamo  and check out the taillight- BIG PROBLEM .  Not only did the taillight not work, the headlight didn't work either.  It appears that the pedals/cable mess also caught the headlight and jerked it back and has damaged the wiring in the headlight which is a sealed unit.  Now we're out about $150 for a new headlight.    But it gets better.

As we were leaving the Visitor Center, we heard something fall and I asked Jeanna what it was.  She said she thought I knocked over a traffic cone leaving the parking lot.  I looked in my mirror and saw that all the cones were upright, but our right-side rear pannier was laying on the ground.  My bad, in my rush to get rolling, I didn't verify that the panniers were locked in place. It wasn't until we got to the motel and unpacked that Jeanna noticed her Surface Pro 4 did not survive the fall in the pannier unscathed.  The top corner of her computer is crushed and there are cracks in the screen.  It still works, but for how long we don't know. 

In summing up, here's the total for the shuttle across the bridge:

 $18.00   - Bridge Toll

$20.00 - Tip for 2 drivers  (Didn't have anything smaller)

$30.00 - Brake Cable and Housing

$150.00 - Headlight

$1,000 - Surface Pro Computer

Total $1,218.00

But hey,  the ride through the country today was priceless!!   -Kerry

Today's ride: 59 miles (95 km)
Total: 1,203 miles (1,936 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Kathleen ClassenI cracked my iPad Pro in a similar fashion two years ago in Italy. I went to an Apple retailer and they put a screen protector over the screen and the iPad is still working. The cracks are minor - I call it my spider web app. A screen protector might allow you to finish the trip before you have to replace the laptop. Good luck!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Kathleen ClassenKathleen,

That's good to hear. We had a screen protector and I foolishly pulled it off thinking that was what was cracked. No such luck. I put the protector back on, but am afraid the try and squeeze the bubbles out for fear of doing more damage. End result is that Jeanna now has a hardware version of the old "Bubbles" screen saver :-)
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rich McKayIs it just me... or are other people finding that most of the maps at the beginning of each post aren't loading? All I'm seeing is a white field with a dark grey border. (Running Mac OS 10.14.5 on a MacBook Pro, using Safari as a browser. Also tried loading through Opera... the maps didn't appear there either.)
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerSuch a positive! Happy Trails you two
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich McKayFixed the problem which was self inflicted. I didn't stop to realize that the maps were dynamically linked to Ride-with-GPS when I deleted the old routes. I've replaced all the dynamic maps with static images of our rides.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Alain AbbateCatching up on your blog after a few days without internet. Sorry to hear about your back to back tough days. It's a good thing Kerry likes visiting bike shops, you may have a few visits coming up to get the lighting and cable issues worked out.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago