Day 119 Cornwall, ON - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2019

Day 119 Cornwall, ON

Using a "snow day"

We've been so lucky with the weather recently, I wasn't really worried when we went to bed last night with a 40% chance of thunderstorms in the morning, lasting most of the day.  It was raining when we woke up and soon there was a thunderstorm.  We had a good "snow day" plan.  Our friends, Jacques and Lisa, arrived in their car as planned about 10AM.  We decided to take the day off from riding and visit a nearby historic village.  Riding tomorrow, a planned rest day (one of my flexible "snow days" in our schedule) would put us right back on schedule.  So, two phone calls later, we have reservations here for another night and a no-fee, no-hassle cancellation of our reservations in Prescott.  

By time we went to a nearby restaurant and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast, the rain had almost stopped.  We got in their car and drove to Upper Canada Village.  Upper Canada Village is an historic park which depicts life in Upper Canada (now Ontario) in the 1860's.  We spent all afternoon walking around and talking to the costumed villagers.  Here are some pictures:

The first stop was the sawmill.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Then we went next door to the flour mill.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is the steam engine which powers the mill. It's almost 200 years old and still does it's job.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We went to the broom maker's shop.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And in the print shop we learned the very interesting origin of a typography definition. The capital letters were stored in the top case and the small letters in the case below - hence "upper case" and "lower case" letters.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This sow and her piglets were enjoying an afternoon rest.
Heart 1 Comment 0
But these horses were hard at work, pulling a cart full of visitors around.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This horse was working even harder, towing a scow full of visitors through a canal.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Kerry and Jacques relaxed on the water.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lise is in this picture. She's the one without green or purple hair.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is Lise.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerHope the day with no bags goes well my friends.....you guys deserve that!!!!!!!!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerIt was fun riding in "Sport" mode all day. Almost didn't notice the hills :-)
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

The forecast for tomorrow is mostly sunny with a high of 76 - a perfect riding day.  Lise will carry our bags, so we will be light and fast!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jacques CharronIt’s was a fun day for us too! 😜Last time we visited Upper Canada Village was in 1981 ...
Looking forward to ride with you for the next two Days πŸš΄πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸš΄πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈπŸ’•
Jacques & Lise
Reply to this comment
4 years ago