Day 118 Cornwall, ON - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2019

Day 118 Cornwall, ON

International travel

Heart 1 Comment 0

We had our last day in Quebec for this trip.  It started, appropriately, with a wonderful meal.  We stayed in a terrific B&B last night in Ormstown.  It is called  The Owl's Nest and is run by Trish and Dave.

Heart 3 Comment 0

They are the kind of B&B hosts you always expect, but don't often find.  They made us feel like guests in their home, not paying customers.  Trish's breakfast was all homemade and delicious.

MMMM!!! Ham & cheese quiche, fresh fruit, and poppy-seed scones with homemade preserves. Jeanna especially liked the home grown tomatoes and fresh avocado.
Heart 4 Comment 0

It was the perfect finale to our visit to Quebec.

I have nothing new to show you from the route.  It is still beautiful, even if we're been seeing it for days.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We left Quebec and entered New York at Fort Covington.  The border agent was friendly and smiling - a nice change from some of our other Canada-US crossings-and we were in the USA in no time.  We rode through a small corner of northern New York and re-entered Canada by crossing the bridge at Cornwall, ON.

During our brief stay in New York, we stopped for lunch and I made a couple of phone calls while I had a working US phone. (Happy Birthday, Stan!)  Our lunch stop was at the Akweasne Mini-Mart, which is in the Mohawk Reservation.  The lunch was very good, but the best part was the women working there who wanted to know all about our trip.  They were very warm and friendly, and when Kerry went to pay, they insisted that lunch was on them.

It was such a pleasure meeting you all. Thanks for lunch!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Re-entering Canada required crossing the Massena-Cornwall International Bridge.  It was two lanes with no shoulder, but the traffic was light and the drivers were polite.  The hard part was having to get off and walk the bike over the most dangerous expansion joints we've ever seen.

I'll let Kerry " expand" on his thoughts on this... Kerry here - Not exactly a bike friendly expansion joint. While walking the bike across this joint, the rear wheel dropped into the gap. It wedged in so tight that Jeanna couldn't lift it out and I had to give it a really good jerk. Thankfully, nothing was damaged.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerWow, that could have been destructive!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rich McKayI always thought that the bigger the joint was, the better. Maybe that's just left over thinking from the '60's creeping back in from the recesses of my mind...
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Tomorrow, our friends Jacques and Lise are joining us for three days.  (Jacques is Pierre's brother.)  Lise will be our SAG driver while Jacques rides with us, so we can ride unloaded for a bit.  That will be a real treat for us.  

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 4,436 miles (7,139 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0