We reach the Hudson. - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

We reach the Hudson.

We had an easy time leaving Schenectady this morning, even though we were staying down town in the center of the city. Half a block from our hotel we got on a pedestrian-only street which took us to the bike trail.

A lot of rust belt industry has also made an exit from Schenectady over the years. One of the biggest, ALCO (American Locomotive Co.), went out of business back in 1969, when the rust belt was first starting to rust. ALCO left behind a big vacancy that has recently been turned into a casino.

When people think of Schenectady, the think of GE (General Electric). GE's headquarters are no longer in Schenectady, and their footprint in the city is a fraction of what it once was.

A few miles outside of Schenectady we passed GE's new Global Research center. I guess a suburban research campus with big lawns is more appealing than repurposed urban factory buildings.

We climbed a surprisingly steep hill to get here from Schenectady.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I have one word for you - plastics.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nuclear power is a thing here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading back down to the Mohawk River.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Troy NY sits at the confluence of the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers. Troy was once the second biggest iron and steel center behind Pittsburgh, today that's just a distant memory. Troy was our easternmost point for this trip. From there we went slightly west to get to Albany, so we are officially on our way back to Ohio.

Albany is an easy city to bike in, in terms of having bike lanes and surprisingly polite drivers, but a challenge on a tandem because of the steep hills. Tomorrow is a day off, so we can see what Albany has to offer curious cyclists.

Albany basin is the Eastern terminus of the Erie Canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
SUNY.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0