The center - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

The center

Today almost felt like fall. The temperature was in the 60s, leaves are starting to fall from some trees and some corn fields are showing hints of brown. It was perfect biking weather.

Leaves are starting to fall.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As South Floridians, crisp temperature in August is unheard of. The only time the word crisp is used in reference to Florida weather in August is when someone says "don't step on the sand or you'll be burned to a crisp."

We had heard that poptree berries are actually choke cherries, and that they are edible (just don't eat the pits). We stopped under a choke cherry tree for a taste. I was expecting something tart, but it was surprisingly sweet.

Living off the land. These taste pretty good.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltWild grapes are good, but seedy. When I was a little kid back in the 50s,, one fall almost everyone in the family got to go pick them so my mom could make jelly... except me with the mumps. Oh! How a taste of them made my salivary glands ache!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

That's when we noticed we weren't eating cherries, we were eating grapes from a vine hanging down from the cherry tree. When we actually tried the choke cherries, they were just as bitter as promised.

After abandoning our attempt to eat cherries, we went in search of the geographic center of Ohio. The center is located in Centerville.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Touching the center of the state.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were escorted into Columbus by Geoff and Marty. 90% of the route was on bike trails, but it was useful to have local guides to negotiate the traffic on the 10% of the route on urban roads. 

Pilots to get us into Columbus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltWill you pass through Dayton? If so, I only live a mile from one of the many rail-trails that connect the area, and I might be able to ride along for a mile or so as you pass through.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Alain AbbateTo Bill ShaneyfeltToday was our last day for this trip, we started and ended in Columbus.
I love the Ohio rail trail system, so perhaps on a future trip I'll be near Dayton. I've enjoyed all your comments and would enjoy meeting you someday.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Alain AbbateThanks for the good words! I've enjoyed tagging along after finding this journal.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago