Day 71 Normandale, Ontario - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

July 26, 2018

Day 71 Normandale, Ontario

Heart 0 Comment 0

Last night we were in the small Lake Erie town of Port Stanley.  It was full of summer vacationers swimming and boating.  Our breakfast server told us that when she was child in the 60's, it was called "Port Stinky" due to the oil storage tanks.  The tanks are still there, but the water is clean and blue and there is no "stinky" in the air.

Sailboats on Lake Erie at Port Stanley
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oil storage tanks at Port Stanley
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our rooms last night opened onto a covered veranda.  There were grape vines growing on one side, which, at first glance, we thought we covered with tiny clusters of grapes.  On closer inspection, they were clusters of eggs on the leaves.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltGrape leaves infested.

http://igrow.org/gardens/home-and-garden-pests/phylloxera-a-grape-pest/
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Here is our daily question for our plant guy. What are these, Bill? They were planted by the front veranda.
Heart 0 Comment 2
David HintonThis is Milkweed. Essential for the survival of the Monarch butterfly.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltDavid is correct!

There are actually numerous species of milkweed that monarchs eat, but this is the most common.

https://www.monarchwatch.org/milkweed/guide/latifo.htm
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Breakfast today was as good as promised.  Three of us ordered the Fisher's Breakfast which was eggs, potatoes and three delicious fresh Lake Erie perch fillets.  Everything was done at a leisurely pace and we ended up not leaving the B&B until just after 10AM, but it was worth it.

Just a few miles from Port Stanley, a local cyclist, David Hinton, rode up and let us know about a detour ahead due to a bridge closure.  We were glad to learn that because it saved us from forging ahead through detour sign only to have to turn back when we found out the road was really closed.  Thank you, David, for taking the trouble to catch up with us and let us know about the bridge.  We were happy to only get five bonus miles from that detour.  

A little later, we passed a sign saying our next road was "permanently closed" between two streets.  We were very happy to arrive at that road closure and see the road closed signs on the right as our route turned left.

This was the road to the right,
Heart 0 Comment 1
David HintonIt was great to meet up with all of you on the road and I am glad to have been of some assistance. The ride back from Port Bruce to Sparta was a bit of a slog into the wind - so doubly good that you didn't go that way!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
but we were turning left!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We saw more grain, vegetables and fruits growing today.  In additon to all that we've seen already, today we added cucumbers and asparagus to the list.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We've been seeing a lot of already harvested wheat fields lately.  Today we saw one with the harvesters at work.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for a break in the little town of Port Burwell and checked out the lighthouse.  None of us were ambitious enough to climb to the top.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bikes are enjoying their Canadian sojurn
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 64 miles (103 km)
Total: 3,299 miles (5,309 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
DAVID FAULKNERSorry we missed out on your Canadian sojourn to Normandale area
You clearly had a great time.. glad you had some time Pt. Dover..during my youth it housed the "Summer Gardens" a dance hall.. many summer nights were spent dancing away to the music of the day.
Take care, and continue your trip without any serious incidents.
We're consoling ourselves with our grand kids..many adventures being enjoyed

Your Canadian Buds
Rummi Kub enthusiasts

Sharon & Dave
Reply to this comment
5 years ago