Day 54 Marquette, MI - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2018

Day 54 Marquette, MI

Day was a rest day in Marquette.  Team S took a long walk and checked out the town.  Marquette is a very nice town.  It was founded in 1849 as a town to serve the iron mines which had just been started in the area.  The name was changed in 1850 to honor the French missionary/explorer Jacques Marquette who helped establish the first European settlements in what is now Michigan in the mid-1600's.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There are a lot of beautiful flowers planted along the city streets and paths.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Is there a floriculturist out there who can identify these flowers?   I thought they were pretty.

Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltI'm not a floriculturist, but I do recognize that as foxglove (Digitalis).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digitalis

------>Bill
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
This is a walkway from downtown to the lakefront
Heart 0 Comment 0

We visited a few bike shops on our walk and Kerry found one that would take off the chains and clean them the way he wanted it done, so he rode the bike back to the shop after our walk, then spent another hour cleaning the bike.

It is daylight late in the evening up here.  This picture was taken when we were walking back to the hotel about 9:45 PM last night.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we're back on the backs for a ride to Munising.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0