Day 35 St. Joseph,  MN - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2018

Day 35 St. Joseph,  MN

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was an almost perfect cycling day.  The temperature was comfortable, there was just enough cloud cover to keep the sun off most of the time and we had a good mix of roads and trails.  The only thing which prevented perfection was a brisk headwind, but that just gave us good exercise.

We, Team S, started the day with a visit to a local bike shop to replace the tubes and patch kits we lost when a tool bottle fell off the bike.  We're not sure when it happened and only realized it was missing when Kerry went to change yesterday's flat tire.  Fortunately, he had another tube in his tool kit.  We got what we needed and the guy even donated us an old bottle to replace the one we lost.

After the bike shop, we planned to meet Team A at the Glacial Lake State Trail trail head.  We headed that way and soon were stopped at a railroad crossing.  The train moved slowly across the road and then came to a complete stop. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

 There was an employee walking along the cars who appeared to be checking couplings.  After about 15 or 20 minutes, the train started to move again and we were able to proceed to meet up with Team A.

We rode over half of today's route on the Glacial Lake State Trail.  It's a nice paved and flat rail trail through farms, Minnesota prairie and several small towns.  Here are some views from the trail:

Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry wants to stop and talk to everyone he meets
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Of course, we are still riding through an agricultural region.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

And here is one non-agricultural picture to finish.  Kerry said this is a temporary asphalt plant.  They were sending out a lot of trucks for a resurfacing project on I-94.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 1,641 miles (2,641 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0