Bumps in the road - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2018

Bumps in the road

After our shakedown ride on the new tandem Friday, we had just enough time to finish cleaning the house, garage and car, pack for the trip and get everything ready to leave for three months before Team A arrived on Saturday afternoon.  At 11:00 PM Friday, we hit a big bump.  Kerry had a close encounter with his router in the shop that left him with two seriously cut fingers.  I suggested, then pleaded, then insisted that he go to the ER to no avail.  He would only agree to go to a local urgent care center Saturday morning.  After almost no sleep for either of us Friday night, we arrived at the urgent care center at their opening time of 9:00 AM Saturday, only to be told they could not treat his injury and he should go to the ER.  So, off to the ER we went.  He was seen in the "Quick Care" area there and two hours later was discharged with glued lacerations and a prescription for an antibiotic.  By the time we got home we were way behind our planned schedule and very tired.  

Kerry was able to go ahead and finish his projects to get ready to go.  He wouldn't let a couple of chewed up fingers slow him down.  I didn't take any pictures, but there is one on Alain's previous entry.

Team A arrived Saturday afternoon and we got all our preparations finally completed.  Sunday morning, we loaded the bikes on the car and headed north.

Loading the tandems is not really a quick or easy task
Heart 2 Comment 0
Beware of low clearances - we're 10 ft, 2 in tall.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Two happy tandem teams ready to go Two Far again
Heart 2 Comment 0

The drive to Columbus took two days.  There were no bumps in road on the way here and it was a pleasant, but long trip.   After all the planning and preparing, it's good to finally at our starting point.  We'll enjoy a couple of relaxing family and friends days, then leave Thursday morning on the bikes for our 100 day tour. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Curt & Helene ReedWe are enjoying reading your blog. Keep it coming. Safe travels
Helene and Curt
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
DAVID FAULKNERThis is the most innovative bike rack I have ever seen

We don’t grow them like that up here in Canada eh!
Dave
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo DAVID FAULKNERBig rack + 2 bikes + four passengers & gear + mountains in Tennessee = POOR CAR!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago