Walmart country - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 27, 2016

Walmart country

We left around 7am and rode through Fredericksburg downtown towards Rappohannock River and Washington DC. The Rappahannock separated the armies of the North and South even more than the Potomac during the Civil War. We were leaving the rural South behind and entering suburbia.

Rappahannock River
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have emerged from the back woods and entered the 21st century. The higher population density as we approach Washington brings both good (lots of different restaurants) and bad (traffic).

Although our route, which skirted Quantico, had the appearance of a rural community, the heavy rush hour traffic made the narrow roads through wooded areas less than relaxing. I must say I was impressed by how many drivers were willing to slow down while we climbed up a hill at 4 mph until they could see it was clear to pass us in the far lane. Isn't it interesting how some drivers have no problem slowing down for a few seconds, or even a minute, to accommodate bicycles while other drivers get furious at a 3 second delay, or even get upset just seeing bikes on their road even if we don't even delay them for 1 second. If your temper is so fragile that routine driving gets you upset, you can't have a lot of happy days.

We saw only a handful of farms and the only crop growing was hay.

The temperature this morning was about 65 degrees. Team S was dressed in matching jackets to withstand the bitter cold. As the day warmed up they reluctantly stripped off a layer. Our hotel in Woodbridge is next to a mall featuring a Walmart. We went to Walmart to get lunch (subs) and fixins for dinner (don't ask). The Walmart is comfortably air conditioned. Jeanna was shivering the whole time she was in the Walmart and could not wait to escape to the comfort of the sweltering afternoon sun.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0