Day 28 Woodbridge to Falls Church - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2016

Day 28 Woodbridge to Falls Church

Today was not long, but we had lots of short, steep hills and lots of traffic.

Our route out of Woodbridge had numerous turns including left turns across several lanes of traffic. One road turned out to be a gravel path which required a detour on the highway.

There were many miles today we had to ride on a bike path adjacent to a multi-lane highway. The paths crossed back and forth across the road which is aggravating.

We hoped that once we got to Mount Vernon and picked up the Mount Vernon trail, the ride would be a lot better. Well, not so much. The trail has steep twisting ups and downs and a lot of cracked pavement.

We did have some nice views of the Potomac with a bunch of sailboats out.

Potomac River near Mount Vernon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sailboats on the Potomac
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped near Reagan airport to watch planes land for a little while, but we didn't get the right spot to see them coming in low right over our heads.

The Mount Vernon Trail connects with the Custis Trail which has a number of really steep sections. We have ridden it before, but it is a lot harder on a loaded tandem!

We got to the hotel, checked in, then treated ourselves to a BIG Italian pasta lunch. After lunch, we stopped in a Middle Eastern grocery store to get MORE FOOD. It was fun to see all the different products they had. We bought fruit, cheese, crackers and, of course, Diet Coke.

Later in the afternoon we walked over to visit Alain's sister. We were still too full from our late lunch to go to dinner, but we did find room for some Dunkin Donuts before walking back to the hotel in the rain.

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 1,534 miles (2,469 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0