Day 89 Jackson to Amite City - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2016

Day 89 Jackson to Amite City

Today started with an excellent breakfast at the Milbank B&B. The dining room and table setting were so elegant, we almost felt underdressed. They assured us we were fine - they feed lots of touring cyclists. We sat and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast and didn't leave until almost 9AM. We only had a 52 mile route, so that wasn't a problem.

Almost the whole route was on Louisiana 10. I had asked at our destination and been told that there were no travel problems between Jackson and Amite City. It turns out that the road had washed out about halfway between the two towns. A woman driving toward us stopped and told Team A about the road closure and the detour ahead. We rode up to the road closed sign and decided to see how the conditions were for bikes. It was possible for us to walk (and carry a little) our bikes around the damaged roadway, so we didn't have to ride back and take the detour. The damage was impressive.

Road washed out
Heart 0 Comment 0
Road washed out
Heart 0 Comment 0
Which way now?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Made it through - no problem!
Heart 0 Comment 0

For several miles along that section of Hwy 10, there was evidence of the recent flooding. We must have been near the hardest hit area.

The rest of today's ride was uneventful. We continue to be swarmed with love bugs whenever we stop. They are definitely having a good season!

A Wendy's dinner and victory at cards for the women ended the day on a happy note.

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 4,204 miles (6,766 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0