Day 8 Blackshear to Glennville - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2016

Day 8 Blackshear to Glennville

We had two firsts today. We had our first unexpected detour and our first flat tire.

We got an early start out of Blackshear to enjoy some cool morning riding. About 8 miles out of town, at the first turn off the highway, there was a sign saying "Local traffic only." We asked the clerk at the convenience store on that corner and learned that the bridge 6 miles down the road was being replaced. He suggested an alternate route, but as Team A consulted their Garmin, his route didn't seem like a great plan. Kerry went into an HVAC company that was in the same building and the couple there came out to offer their advice. Their suggested route seemed much better, so off we went and some miles later rejoined the planned route with no problem.

Southern Georgia quiet back roads
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a snack and drink break, we headed north, securely on the way to our destination. In just a few miles, Viktoriya said that our back tire looked low. We stopped and she was right (She is rarely wrong:).) Kerry changed the tire and we headed out again.

This time we reached the Cheerio Inn in Glennville without further incident. We had a McDonald's lunch, bought a 2 liter Diet Coke to get us through the afternoon and evening and retired to our room to enjoy the air-conditioning and WIFI.

We had good roads for most of today's miles. With very few exceptions, the drivers were careful and courteous, as they have been so far. There were some miles with rumble strips cut into the white line and almost no pavement to the right to cycle on, but Kerry and Alain are skillful captains and rode confidently and safely through those areas.

The scenery today was rural south Georgia - pine trees, fields and farms.

Satillo River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farm fields
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 503 miles (810 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0