Day 66 Madison to Salem - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

August 5, 2016

Day 66 Madison to Salem

We had a short route today. That is good, because I needed rest from yesterday's rest day!

We had a visit from a Crazy Guy last night. Tom Pritchard lives in Madison and has been following our journal. He had contacted me before we left home when he saw that we would be in Madison and asked us to let him know when we got to town. We called him and arranged to get together last night. It was a lot of fun to talk with him about Madison and about cycling. He loves to talk to touring cyclists as he plans to do some long distance touring himself when he retires in another year. We all enjoyed meeting him.

Today's ride was pretty much like all our recent ones - fields of soybeans and a few small rural communities.

Still more soybeans - not much corn in this area. We were told again that corn prices are so low, most people are growing beans this year.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We did have three miles on a little county road which took us down to a little creek which partially covered the road. It was very scenic, but left us with some mud to clean off ourselves, our gear and our bikes when we got to the hotel.

County road before we got to the creek
Heart 0 Comment 0
Creek where it belongs. A little farther down, it was across the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
County road past the creek. It was a beautiful, quiet lane.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Shortly after we turned off that little county road, we had a low tire on the front. Kerry decided to go ahead and change it to be safe. The shady spot he found to change the tire was right in front of this demolished house. Some of the wood had been laid aside and numbered, as if it were going to be reassembled.

Structure being demolished. Timbers on the right had been numbered.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another tire change - the front is so much easier than the rear.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had continued great luck with the weather as there was a short rainstorm right after we had finished cleaning the bikes and gotten everything safely inside.

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 3,110 miles (5,005 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0