Day 65 in Madison - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2016

Day 65 in Madison

Today was a "rest day" but there was no resting. There was walking and walking and walking. We toured the historic downtown district, walked along the riverfront, visited two museums and, saving the best for last, visited aa winery.

Madison is a very nice town on the Ohio River. It's historic district covers 130 blocks, the largest in the country. There is an excellent museum of Madison and Jefferson county history and an adjacent railroad museum.

Arriving in Madison yesterday, we crossed the Madison-Milton Bridge. It had a clean, wide shoulder for cycling.

Madison-Milton bridge we crossed riding into town
Heart 0 Comment 0

The town has invested in a beautiful park along the river. It was full of people walking, cycling, running and just sitting and enjoying the river.Our rental house overlooks the river and riverwalk. We can watch the tugs and barges go by from the windows.

Ohio River at Madison
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riverwalk on Ohio
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riverwalk gazebo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tug pushing barges
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ohio River barges
Heart 0 Comment 0

After breakfast in our little rental house, we walked over to the vistor's center and historical museum. There was a cool bike sculpture out front.

Playing with the bike sculpture
Heart 0 Comment 0

The museum was really excellent and we spent a long time exploring the history of Madison. Next, we went over to the railroad museum which is in the restored Madison train station.

Restored train station Ohio
Heart 0 Comment 0
Restored caboose at railroad museum
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had lunch downtown, then went to the Lanthier Winery. It is in a beautiful old building with an art gallery upstairs and a garden area with winding paths outside. The two people who did the tasting for us were great and very friendly. Thank you Debbie and Quinten for an enjoyable hour at the winery!

Debbie and Quinten at Lanthier Winery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0