Day 52 Lambton Shores to Sombra - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2016

Day 52 Lambton Shores to Sombra

Today was a day of stories we'll remember. We left Lambton Shores and searched for our first good view of Lake Huron. There are a lot of wind turbines in the area and a whole of signs in yards and attached to street posts both supporting and opposing their placement here.

Wind turbines seem controversial here
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were still passing many wheat farms and harvest is underway.

Ready for harvest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ready for harvest
Heart 0 Comment 0

We found a small park with good views of Lake Huron. This is the third and final Great Lake we'll see on this trip.

Lake Huron
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for a drink and snack at a Tim Horton's just outside Sarnia. A few people asked about the bikes and our trip. One guy was particularly interested and said he and his wife also rode a tandem. He told us about a popular swim at the Bluewater Bridge, where Lake Huron drains into the St. Clair River. People jump in, drift with the current a few hundred feet downriver, then get out and do it again and again. He offered to watch our bikes while we took the plunge, but no way was I getting into cold water! Alain considered it, but decided to pass, so we thanked the guy for the offer, but declined. He insisted on paying for our drinks at Tim Horton's, even if we didn't take him up on the swim. We did ride over to the bridge and saw some guys in the water. They were making the trip five times, they said.

The bluewater is aptly named. The water is a gorgeous blue. There were a lot of people out enjoying the shoreline on this very hot day.

Bluewater Lake Huron Sarnia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Huron beach at Sarnia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bluewater Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swimmers near Bluewater Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kerry and Alain considered taking a short cut to Michigan, but decided not try it without their stokers.

No,guys, we can't get to Michigan that way.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Leaving Sarnia, we headed south along the St. Clair River to our B&B in Sombra. Once we got past all the petrochemical plants, it was a pleasant ride. We stopped for lunch at the Bad Dog Bar and Grill in Corunna. The manager had one of the staff take our picture for their FB page. That's our third FB mention, after the bike shops in Falls Church and Confluence, PA.

We arrived at our B&B around 4PM. No one was around, so I called the number I had for them and got voice mail.

Ore carrier on St. Clair River from our B&B
Heart 0 Comment 0

We poked around and found the door to the B&B unlocked. It was HOT, so I turned on the AC and, getting no response to my call, we went in and made ourselves at home. About an hour later, the owners arrived. Apparently, the man who took the reservation didn't write it down correctly, but the woman found my deposit check and confirmed we really did have a reservation, so all was fine. They are a very nice couple. We got to spend a little quality time with their beautiful Great Dane, then they let us use one of their cars to go the 1.5 miles into town for dinner. That turned into the final story of the day. The restaurant he sent us to would not seat us, as they had too many reservations coming in and didn't want to make the cooks mad. The other two restaurants in town were closed. We were directed to a restaurant in the next village - about 5 miles away. When we got there, that place had just closed! We finally found a little deli and got some food to bring back to the B&B. The food we got was fine and the ice cream we got for dessert was great, so we'll all go to bed happy.

After weeks of traveling, the days run together, but this is a day we'll remember.

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 2,589 miles (4,167 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0