Hot water - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2016

Hot water

Two things about today. One, it was hot, maybe record breaking hot. Two, we spent a lot of time next to and looking at water. First we looked at Lake Huron, then we got hot, then we looked at the St Claire River, then we got hotter.

Looking North over Lake Huron you can see Canada. Canada is the part with the flowers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shady stairs leading to the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped at a Tim Hortons. Alain had heard that a double double was a good thing to order at Tim Hortons, although he wasn't sure what it was. Perhaps a donut? He attempted to pass as a Canadian and confidently asked for a double double. The cashier asked "what size?"

Oh dear, donuts don't come in different sizes, do they? A brief moment of panic before he answered tentatively"large". Was his cover blown? Is it a crime to impersonate a Canadian? Should he have answered "large eh"?

Viktoriya, without any consideration of the possible consequences of impersonating a Canadian asked the cashier"what's a double double?"

It turned out to be a coffee.

A double double is best when it's hot, eh?
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we got to the head of the St Clair we could see Michigan (some state up north for our Columbus readers).

Our first sight of the USA for a while.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Being in sight of the USA means being back in cell phone range. Viktoriya got a text message telling her she had jury duty. She called to explain she was in Canada and needed time to bike back to Florida before she could serve. I'm sure that was not even close to the most creative excuse for postponing jury duty they heard that day and they took it in stride.

We stayed at a nice B&B on the St Clair. Common activities in that area include watching ships go by and watching America. Apparently eating is not nearly as common. The town had 3 restaurants. Two were closed and the third would not serve us without a reservation. We borrowed a car from the B&B owners and drove a couple of towns down the river before we found a convenience store with food.

Watching a ship go by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
USA disappearing in the twilight
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0