Day 18 New Bern to Plymouth - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2016

Day 18 New Bern to Plymouth

Today was another day of fun in North Carolina. We left New Bern and crossed the bridge over the Neuse River.

Neuse River at New Bern
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were almost immediately out in a rural area and spent most of the rest of the day riding on low traffic, well maintained rural roads.

Eastern North Carolina
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who's that stalking me?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh, hi Team A!
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we weren't on those peaceful roads, we were on the ferry crossing the Pamlico River from Aurora to Bayview. On the way to the ferry, we rode for several miles past an open pit phosphate mine. It is a huge operation.

Aurora phosphate mine
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was a good ride on a beautiful day and we enjoyed talking to the other passengers, including two women who were out for the day on their motorcycles.

Waiting for the ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0

After crossing the river, we stopped for lunch at the Old Town Country Kitchen in Bath. What a good choice that was. Lunch was good, the service was excellent and as we were finishing our meal, two guys from the next table came over to talk.

Al and Tom
Heart 0 Comment 0

One was a long time cyclist who is no longer riding, but was very interested in our trip and our bikes. Both guys went out to check out the bikes, so Kerry and Alain joined them and talked bike stuff for awhile.

Checking out the bikes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Discussing important things
Heart 0 Comment 0

Vita and I talked to the wives about bike touring and living on the road. We had a lot of fun sharing stories about our trip.

Maryanne, Jeanna, Viktoriya and Rhonda
Heart 0 Comment 0

So, thank you for the conversation Maryanne and Al and Rhonda and Tom. It was a pleasure meeting you!

We spent some time walking around historic Bath after lunch. It is the oldest city on North Carolina, founded in 1705. It sits on the Pamlico River and has a beautiful riverfront park.

Bath, NC
Heart 0 Comment 0
St. Thomas Church, Bath, NC
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pamlico River Bath, NC
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bonner Point Bath
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 82 miles (132 km)
Total: 1,108 miles (1,783 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0