A rash decision - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2016

A rash decision

We decided to ride straight through from Ridgeland to Port Gibson with a minimum of sightseeing. This was a rash decision. Put less delicately, we were motivated to just get the ride over with ASAP because of Alain's diaper rash like condition due to riding in sweat soaked clothes. That's already way too much information, but don't worry, we will spare you any photos.

The one section of the Natchez Trace Parkway that is not suitable for biking is the area around Jackson. At least it's not suitable during rush hour. It's still a 2 lane road without shoulders, but instead of a car passing every few minutes, there is a constant stream of traffic.

We hopped on to a bike trail that parallels the Parkway. All was good until the trail came to a dead end in the middle of a grassy field. We could see the Parkway, we just couldn't get to the Parkway. At least not officially or easily. Kerry went on a recognizance trip and reported that the field was passable. Off we went!

Bushwhacking our way back to the Parkway.
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we made it back to the Parkway, both stokers discovered that they had stepped in fire ant piles while crossing the field. Ouch!

We continued on, despite the traffic. After we made it past interstates 55 and 20 the traffic thinned out enough to enjoy the ride. Apparently it was rural enough to use as a relocation zone for problem animals. A couple drove up and took out a cage with a raccoon. The raccoon's crime? Eating muscadine grapes. Its lucky for us that we are not incarcerated every time we answer Bacchus's sweet song. Maybe it was the combination of the mask and public intoxication that got the raccoon in trouble.

We met this guy at a historic site off of the Parkway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dash for freedom!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Unlike the last few days, we had blue skies. That's not a good thing in Mississippi in August. The temperature soon climbed into the 90s.

Blue skies!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even the moon put in an appearance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The corn looked like it was drying out. Wonder if it can get dry enough to harvest in this humidity?
Heart 0 Comment 0
First time we noticed Spanish moss on the trace. Dear me, we are getting South.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Question answered. The corn IS dry enough to harvest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We didn't see many new mushrooms in the heat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think the heat got to this one. It needs mush to mush resuscitation.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We usually pass several Parkway service areas each day. Today the one and only service area with water and rest rooms came at mile 50. We were definitely looking forward to filling up our water bottles (no, we didn't leave them behind again). Unfortunately the water fountain at the service area was broken. A trickle of brown water came out from underneath the fountain, but we were not yet thirsty enough to go for that.

Our problem was solved when a friendly local named Richard Purvis drove up to the service area. We had an enjoyable conversation with Richard and he offered us cold water. We were glad to accept. That water really saved us, by the time we got to Port Gibson we were down to our last drops.

Richard Purvis.
Heart 0 Comment 0

During the Civil War, Ulysses S Grant captured Port Gibson on his way to Vicksburg. Supposedly Grant said that Port Gibson was too pretty to burn and spared the town. Certainly the Isabelle B&B in Port Gibson where we are staying is very pretty. As soon as we arrived Bobbye, the owner, offered us sweet tea and lemonade. She kept the refills coming until we were rehydrated. Southern hospitality at its finest.

Port Gibson B&B.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Comfortable parlours in the Isabelle B&B.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This part of Port Gibson did burn down. I'm pretty sure Grant was not involved.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0