Day 85 Ridgeland to Port Gibson - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

August 25, 2016

Day 85 Ridgeland to Port Gibson

Hot! Today felt just like home - hot and humid. We were Diet Coke deprived again today. There was not a single place within a mile of the entire 68 mile route to get drinks. There wasn't even water available on the Trace. We were lucky to find some guys mowing along the road and they were happy to give us some bottled water. Thank-you, guys!!

We mostly just pedaled today. We didn't visit any historic sites or other attractions. We stopped just long enough to rest in the shade for a few minutes, then moved on. There was a visitors center at Clinton, MS, but we were there before it opened.

The Trace
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Trace
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike at rest area on Trace
Heart 0 Comment 0

The most excitement we had today was getting from the Jackson bike trail back to the Trace. Ride With GPS tried to send us on a road that wasn't there. We stayed on the bike path past the turn on the route and soon the bike path ended. We were left with the choice of going a few hundred yards through the grass and weeds or going back to look for another paved road. We chose the grass and weeds.

Making a new route to the Trace
Heart 0 Comment 0
Team A forging a path
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was easy getting the bike across, but I stepped on fire ants in my cycling sandals and got a bunch of bites on my foot. It hurts and is red and swollen around the toes, but I've not gotten the sympathy I deserve! I might need to rethink wearing open sandals on the bike, but they are really comfortable.

Our lodging tonight is the Isabella Bed and Breakfast in Port Gibson. We arrived so hot and exhausted and were met with a friendly welcome and immediate offer of cold drinks (including Diet Coke!) The owner, Bobbye, is one of the nicest people we've met on the trip and really makes her guests feel welcome. She even took a couple from Connecticut out in her car this evening so they could see an alligator. She said they saw TWO.

Ladies parlor at Isabella B&B
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our room at Isabella B&B
Heart 0 Comment 0
Staircase at Isabella B&B
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 miles (109 km)
Total: 4,039 miles (6,500 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0