Day 94: Notre-Dame-du-Portage,QC to Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, QC - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 30, 2017

Day 94: Notre-Dame-du-Portage,QC to Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, QC

Today was a good cycling day. It was warm and sunny. The scenery was beautiful, first along the St. Lawrence River and then through miles of fields and many dairy farms. It was a day of sights and smells!

We started the day with a delicious and entertaining breakfast at the B&B. If you are ever traveling in the Riviere-du-Loup area, you need to stay at the Gite Chute. The hosts are very warm, outgoing people and they had all of us (10 around the table) talking in a mixture of French and English and enjoying each other's company. (I was going to say it was like a family breakfast, but to be honest, it was way more fun than either of us would have with our own families.) There were two people celebrating birthdays - a young woman and a little girl turning seven. There was singing in French and English, then cake with candles. It was a good start for the day.

Our hosts singing a French birthday song
Heart 0 Comment 0
The birthday girl - her mom is French and her dad is British and she's already bilingual.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our route was along Hwy 132 the whole way. As I mentioned yesterday, this is a popular cycling route. We passed dozens of other cyclists today. We saw a few loaded for touring, but didn't have the opportunity to stop and talk to any of them.

The first part of the way, we followed along the St. Lawrence River and went through a couple of attractive little villages,

Islands in the St. Lawrence
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the beautiful St. Lawrence
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we went through miles of farmland and many dairy farms. There were a few very large dairy operations, which all seemed very prosperous and well kept.

Many dairy farms
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of fields of various crops - and then some with these purple flowering plants. I don't have any idea what they are, but they made very pretty fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Rivière-Ouelle we stopped for a break at an ice cream shop. Their chocolate soft-serve was delicious. If you're ever in the area, you definitely should stop and have some.

Fantastic soft serve in Rivière-Ouelle, QC
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got to Saint-Jean-Port-Joli and found an excellent place for our late lunch. We even ordered off the French menu and got exactly what we expected.

We'll have lots more time to work on our French comprehension. Tomorrow we get to Quebec City for a three night stay. I'm looking forward to a chance to slow down and stay put for a little while.

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 3,876 miles (6,238 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0